M6 TOLL- Again, is it a BOAT, a RUPP, or what?

There seems to be some confusion as to what the M6 Toll's status is.

When they want to charge us they tell us that it's a private road, fine, so that means that I can drive at 150 MPH along it because they are talking about charging the police for going on it. There have been reports in the press, however, which stated that all the motorway speed limits and regulations apply, but surely you can't have it all ways?

If it is open to all traffic, then surely I can take my chainsaw and clear away the toll barriers, because they are blocking my legal right of access?

Has anyone got any thoughts, or better still definitive answers, to the above? Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

The Road Traffic Act applies to any public road (that is public with a small 'p'). It thus applies to supermarket car parks, public events held on private land etc. So the M6 Toll may be private land, but it is still a road in a public place, so the RTA applies.

I think.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Why? I reckon it's clearly a revenue stream. They can change the tariff as and when they please... I thought about trying this economic model on our customers, so when a suitable Radio bodied 101 became available I would add one percent to all of my customers' bills that month. I figured they'd probably pay - as they will with the M6 toll. I didn't do it, but one day I may try ;-)

I used to drive along a private road, on private land at somewhat silly speeds - which is fine, however, the M6 toll is NOT a private road. Similar in fact to the road which runs through, for example, the Chatsworth Estate in Derbyshire. It is private land but all road legislation applies.

Sadly not - otherwise I'd be there with you :-)

There was a very long and somewhat heated discussion elsewhere a few years ago which led to a theory that under current international Human Rights legislation ALL toll roads were illegal if you could prove that you wanted free and unhindered access to a certain point within that road.

Go prove the point John - someone has to stand up for our rights. We'll all be right behind you (beyond the toll booth, obviously) ;-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Drive Grumble (and similar 101's) straight through the barriers!

It's as bad on the Severn Bridge - currently £4.50 leaving England..... I'd feel happier paying £2 each way.....

Reply to
Father

I'll pay your £4.50.

Reply to
wayne

According to precedent you have to dress up as a woman in order to "possess the gates of those that oppress you"

Well thats what the history books say about the Rebecca Riots.

Apparantly when the Skye bridge opened there were numeros protests and court cases trying to establish who could cross it for free.

Reply to
Larry

I've just had to read this agian, and one part especially so:

"I can drive at 150 MPH along it"

Are we to assume that Doom Trader has had an engine transplant? :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Correct even places like Silverstone, Santa Pod and anywhere that holds motorsport have an exemption granted by the government via The Motorsports Association (MSA) license for that event

Reply to
Mike Jones Super Hero (sluff)

£13.50 when I went over a couple of weeks ago, don't grumble at 4.50
Reply to
Denis F

This is also true for many Land Rover events, such as a club holding an off road day. Exemption is available through the ARC to protect drivers from RTA offences (this is for all events, not only competitive).

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

The ARC are not an exempt organisation. They use the MSA permit/license hence ARC events also have to comply with MSA regulations. They simply add their own regulations on top of the MSA ones but the MSA ones take precedence. It is for this reason that the ARC is officially a club not an association, all members of ARC clubs then become members of the ARC so that the ARC can apply for a permit for the event whilst only inviting a single club (the ARC) as many permit types limit the number of clubs that can be invited.

As an example, both ARC CCV and RTV events run under the same MSA permit with the same insurance fee as an "Off Road Trial". The ARC then add their own SR's (Supplementary Regulations) according to the type of event to limit eligibility.

Clubs not in the ARC, like ours, simply apply to the MSA direct for the permit and apply our own SR's. We also get any insurance rebate that may be due at the end of the year from the MSA.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Yes, I should really have made that clearer :-)

It is still handy for, as an example, clubs like the 101 FCC&R as we left the then RAC MSA a few years ago so cannor run any competitive events in our own right. However, by being members of ARC, we can apply via them for an exemption should we ever run any official club events.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

£13.50 ?? My, you MUST have a big one!!

Get three of my little ones into Wales for that price - mind you, bet you can carry three times as many neddies?? Better not let SWMBO know just how many else she be sitting her HGV licence next

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

ooerr matron

I could just see you in a brand new oakley 9 horsebox............

Reply to
Denis F

My bank manager wouldn't though - so its the 1989 Range Ruster and the 1984 Rice Treble for the foreseeable future I'm afraid.

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme