making a land-rover cripple friendly

if you miss the ability to use the right leg, and you dont have the power in your arms to drive an 109s3 ex airforce, what to do.... we got the clutch done to the auto clutch and accelerator pedal to the left of the brake. now only a system to build power steering in, and what can i use for that? p.a.s. pump from a disco? or 2.5 defender? and how further? yes it is for the love of my life, and i hope to keep her driving land- rovers, including a 101fc. Cheers, Arjan Wilbie

Reply to
the dutch nutter

Serious mods to use a Disco kit on a SIII, Ram kits are / were available but they are not cheap and of questionable reliability for those I'd seen feedback on. Big Blue used to have one and I think the recommendation was wouldn't bother in future.

Surely simpler to modify a 110 and bung an auto in at the same time.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

heres the one with the Ram kit on.

Lee_D

Do a web search for "power steering land rover series" and you'll find quite a few ideas.

Here's another supplementary cylinder kit - it's not what I'd call cheap:

Dougal

PAS on a 101 is very straightforward. See the 101 club forum.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On or around Sun, 10 Feb 2008 08:53:17 -0800 (PST), the dutch nutter enlightened us thusly:

well, I know for a fact that you can put an auto box in a 101FC, seen it done :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

But if you do be sure to select the box with viscous coupling to save the headache of how to select diff lock without alighting the drivers seat and resoting to pannel removal and tools.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

including a 101fc.

Hasn't Tom done it with his too ? I've got very confused with his menagerie of Landys ;-)

I know Martyn did it, and the new 101club membership officer (also a Martin !) has just done it to his, and wonders why he didn't do it years ago.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

the 101fc has a 101fc donor vehicle, named the big yin, and has power steering with a non standard steering box, 4.6 V8 and pas pump, and fitting a auto box is not something that i have done before, and after that i know how to do it.... :-)

i also know that a 110 would be easy to adapt, but the 109 is the one she had before and with the adaptions should be a show winner again, a 200tdi set looks good, and i wonder about the difirance of a lhd to the rhd version and where to cram it in.

dont worrie about the big yin, it is going to be back on the roads, as an nearly original spec ambulance (using the bits that comes free.) thanks for input. cheers arjan wilbie

Reply to
the dutch nutter

We don't worry about gutting ambulances here. The British forces may have bought them as Ambulances but after that it's up to who ever owns them what they do with them.

Some here have even been known to gut really rare ambulances....ahem.Look at them as lumps of metal with V8 engines :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I was told once by a mate who was an absolute nutter that the power steering box from a Volvo 165 was pretty much a bolt on swap for the series 3 Not tried it myself or heard it anywhere else, and finding one might be like looking for hens teeth days.

Reply to
Smurf

I stuck with the old manual box as i worked out that if i did an auto swap too it would take me too long! (its a lot more work than just the v8 swap which took me about a week) Simon I started his before xmas and still hasnt finished has he? ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods