Marking territory - but this oil smells!

ok, I have oil seeping down the back of the sump on my 90 200tdi (1993 k plate). Smells like gearbox oil and could be coming down from where gearbox housing meets the engine - Neighbour says it smells like EP90?

Am due to be travelling to Poland with the car next month...... Any ideas on what could be causing this? or indeed, what the repair is likely to cost? Need to get it across Europe, so don't want to take any chances.

Reply to
Antony Douglass

Sounds like an input shaft seal leak, fairly common. Would need the gearbox splitting from the engine, sometimes if it's not leaking much some people leave it like that until they change the clutch, I'd not do that but then I've been on the same clutch for 80,000 miles.

I'd have thought it would cost similar to a clutch change in labour terms, parts should be cheap.

Is it coming from the bell housing that contains the clutch? There's a drain hole at the bottom of the bell housing. If it's not, then you should be able to trace where the leak is coming from by cleaning the area and watching for the leak. If it's not from the bell housing then it may not be the input shaft seal.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Antony Douglass uttered summat worrerz funny about:

The axle breathers usually come up about there... check them first unless there is an obvious other source.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Some gearboxes dont use ep90 anyway, they use atf. Even if not an auto.

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

200cc Dirt Bike (Dirtbag)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

101's use Engine oil... spooky that.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

ok, been outside, just crawled underneath (in true Landrover owner style) and the oil is darker in colour. it also seems damp around the breather hose.

No oil is coming from the bottom of the bell housing, but the two visible nuts on said housing have oil drips gathering on them. Have checked the engine oil leval and it seems to be way over level. The T-pot i bought it from looks like he has filled the engine oil level to the brim!

Do you think it will help if I drain it down a bit? if over filled will this caused damage to the seals?

Where do I check the gearbox oil level?

Sorry to sound dim here - as you might have gathered I am a bit of a newbie!

Thanks for this gents....

Reply to
Ant

Blimey, I ought to read the question a little better.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Have checked the

Err don't run it until you have drained some oil off - if you do you may get a hydraulic lock under a piston and shag your engine.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

No water in there is there? Check your water & oil together matey, could be filled with water to make it look full of oil.

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

200cc Dirt Bike (Dirtbag)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

On or around Thu, 29 Jun 2006 19:07:30 GMT, "Ant" enlightened us thusly:

I'd drain the engine completely into a suitably big container, meself. All sorts of silly things can happen[1], some by mistake, some spontaneously and some from deliberate malice. not worth the risk for the sake of a few quids-worth of oil.

change the filter too while you're at it.

[1] heard of a bike once where a combination of parking the side stand (and thus at an angle) and iffy fuel tap and float valve caused about half a gallon of petrol to get into the sump. Needless to say, this didn't do the engine any good when it was started and run without noticing.
Reply to
Austin Shackles