mechanical quiz

Hi all,

Try this quiz, some interesting things - posted on another group I frequent (uk.rec.sailing)

Some of the questions are not phrased perfectly, but good fun anyhow, I reckon just right for the typical LR owners on this list.

Cheers,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

I did it elswhere & got 85%

Reply to
Nige

92%
Reply to
Rich B

You lie above average!

Reply to
Martin Mose Larsen

I got 100% which was odd because the correct answer to Q31 as drawn was 60Kgs not any of the ones they gave but I guessed they meant the weights to be at the ends of the unequal seesaw not one block in.

Q38 was ambiguous about which was 'the same direction' for the fans. One goes clockwise as seen from it's face and the other anticlock but, as they are facing in opposite directions, I guessed they would count that as 'the same' and I was lucky.

Clockwise and anticlock on the bevel gear question was a bit ambiguous too.

Since a major part of my work is in ballistics perhaps it's a good thing that I haven't lost it totally yet.My mistakes are usually messy.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

Nah, it's da troof, honest.

Reply to
Rich B

Harrumph, I only got 88%, got the "name the gears" bit wrong, e.g. overdrive, reverse etc., got the see-saw Q31 wrong but had to guess what they meant due to crappy diagram, got the multiple pulley lift one wrong because I guessed, got 44 (pressure pipe) wrong, got 48 wrong (I said suction, they said atmospheric pressure, bloody same thing IMHO), 49 wrong because they reckon petrol is easier to catch fire than diesel which I'm not convinced about..

opposite directions,

Yeah I moaned at the screen about that one too..

I don't reckon 88% is *too* bad for a professional computer nerd ;-) Three of those wrong answers I'm not convinced were wrong..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Well I'm going to show off, I got 98%.

Well actually, I got 100%, but one of the questions was wrong! Question 31 (assuming that the questions are always the same) Showed a 5:1 ratio lever, but they counted it as a 6:2 lever because they worked on the outside edge of the mass, rather than the centre like wot it should have been!

Ok, I'll stop being a pedant now! Should have got 100 though! Bahh humbug grumble moan etc :-)

Reply to
SimonJ

Woohoo, another pedant!!! (I hadn't read this post when I posted my reply, glad someone agrees with me!)

Reply to
SimonJ

I'd agree there from another professional computer nerd - 88% here to, and I recon it should have been more, a couple of ambiguous questions and the multiple pulleys which I guessed - CBA with the image.

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

Tell you what get a small metal dish say an old mince pie container and put a teaspon of petrol in it. Take another and fill it with diesel. Take a couple of matches and drop a lit match into each dish in turn.

PS. Don't get too close when you drop the lit match in the dish containing the petrol.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've done this before and the petrol wasn't interested in catching fire, I was a most disappointed 11 year old!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Glad you had some fun with it, 96 for me, but I freely admit several were pure guesses, as I was either confused by the terminology or couldn't be arsed to work it out.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

This 11 year old, though probably younger, nearly lost his eye brows when attempting to start(*) a fire aided by petrol.

(*) Actually rather too successful, was more than a teaspoon full though more like a table spoon and over twigs etc so plenty of surface area. I can still hear the whumpf and see the entire fire lift several inches into the air and fall back... You wouldn't get that with diesel, not without heating it first.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well I would pop outside and have a go, but my neighbours already get into a huddle and talk when I'm around ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I must have been a late developer, I was about 13 when I discovered how not to light a fire with petrol! My technique was to get a can of petrol, and pour it straight onto the smouldering fire, coz I thought it wasn't lighting quick enough! Bloody great big whump, 4' fireball, and me stood with can in hand, flames coming out of can! Christ knows what came over me at that point, because instead of dropping the can and running (and causing an even bigger fireball probably!) I simply put the lid back on the can, thus putting it out.

Reply to
SimonJ

On or around Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:53:35 +0100, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

git. 88%

mind, I made a silly wrong answer to one of the electrical ones. And it don't tell you answers, what did you put for the naturally aspirated engine, suction or atmospheric pressure?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Atmospheric pressure would be the strictly correct answer, which is what I put. From a mechanical point of view, it hardly matters a jot whether is pressure or suction, as long as the stuff gets in there.

My screen is now covered in fingermarks from all the twirly stuff I was doing on the pulley and gear questions.

Reply to
Rich B

It does tell you the answers, you can go back through it using the "analyse" or something like that button, and it gives you a red mark for the ones you get wrong and a green one for the ones you get right, and indicates the correct answers.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Wed, 24 Oct 2007 20:51:13 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

oh, right, I didn't notice that. maybe I'll try it again. the only one I wasn't sure about the answer (apart from the silly one I got wrong) was the engine inlet one, which I was interested to see what they reckoned the answer was.

Reply to
Austin Shackles