Military Land Rover Blue Lights

Hi, I've seen a number of old army land rovers at shows, like at beltring, etc with blue lights on, i would like to fit one to my old military land rover, but whats the position? it would be a "dummy" blue light, in so much as it wouldn't be wired into the vehicles electics, and therefore not able to flash, would i have to keep taking it off or cover it up when driving on the road? or is it ok as long as its on a classic and not working or capable of working? its authentic to my vehicle, as it had one when it was in service

Thanks

Reply to
brett

It would have to be covered up or removed along with any other markings such as 'Military Police' etc when travelling on public roads.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

You can have as many blue lights as you like, and they can work. BUT, you must *never* use them on the road. The word "Police", if you have them too, must be covered too - some black tape in an X will do. If you go to your loca classic car show you will be able to ask the inevitable Police Ford Anglia owner what they do ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

beamendsltd wrote: The word "Police", if you

Just replace the "C" for a "T". Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

That's not entirely accurate. The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations state that you must not have a blue flashing beacon *fitted* to your vehicle - actually, it says it in a very roundabout way and says lots of other things in very roundabout ways too. However, the enforcement of this is far less rigid. I suspect that having it incapable of producing light would actually conform to the law.

Cheers, Aled.

Reply to
Aled

That's partly true but the guidance is that blue lights or lightbars must be covered such that the light/lens is not visible and any wording should be either covered or struck out in such a way that it would be clear that the vehicle was not in use.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

On or around Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:49:33 -0000, Aled enlightened us thusly:

we had an ex-ambulance which still had the blue lights on the bonnet - we were advised by plod to remove them, despite claiming (untruthfully, as it happens) that they didn't work. Still had the airhorn pump, an' all :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not according to the classic car brigade - or Land Rover when I worked there.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

No, it wouldn't. As well as blue emergency beacons being illegal, anything that resmbles a blue emergency beacon is illegal too.

Cheers

Blippie

-- Ten minutes of this rain will do more good in half an hour than a fortnight of ordinary rain in a month.

Reply to
Blippie

It depends on the precise design of the beacon, but I don't think it would be hard to make an opaque cover. Keeping it secure would be the trick.

Maybe just a plastic plantpot?

Reply to
David G. Bell

What the lighting regulations actually say on the subject is:

(4) Without prejudice to regulation 16, for the purposes of these Regulations a lamp shall not be treated as being a lamp if it is-

(a) so painted over or masked that it is not capable of being immediately used or readily put to use; or

(b) an electric lamp which is not provided with any system of wiring by means of which that lamp is, or can readily be, connected with a source of electricity. Restrictions on fitting blue warning beacons, special warning lamps and similar devices 16. No vehicle, other than an emergency vehicle, shall be fitted with-

(a) a blue warning beacon or special warning lamp, or

(b) a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether the same is in working order or not.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I reckon 4 (a) is less open to interpretation than 4 (b), unless the whole wiring has been stripped out.

Cheers

Blippie

-- Ten minutes of this rain will do more good in half an hour than a fortnight of ordinary rain in a month.

Reply to
Blippie

Hi guys, I've been following this thread with interest for a while now, but what I don't understand is why you want a blue light on an ex military vehicle in the first place......, unless of course it was either a police, fire or bomb-disposal vehicle originally? FWIW, a friend has a yank cop car that he takes to various shows around the country, his blues are wired through an underbonnet master switch so that they can't be switched on when driving (as long as the switch is off, obviously) and the local plod - whom he checked up with - are quite happy with this arrangement. He doesn't need to cover up the lights or decals, as it is so obviously not a uk police car that he couldn't be accused of impersonating one. (It's a ford crown vic!) Badger.

Reply to
Badger