Military trailer

Can anyone shed any light on this for me. I know no more except the details shown, and that I'm fetching it on Sunday. Have I just made a horrible mistake (not sure I want to know if I have).

Thanks in advance

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Oooooooh, that's different.

It's not yer normal Sankey. It looks as though it's got 8-stud wheels, which are, well, different.

I'd speculate that it's a 1950s model, contemporary with the Austin Champ and the Bedford QL.

But I'm quite prepared to be wrong!

Reply to
QrizB

:o) Thats what I thought. Probably should have turned computer off at that point.

...split rims I recon...

I'd recon'd on late forties early fifties too... As for what it might of gone with I wouldn't know. Question is: different good or different aaaaaarrrrrggg?

:o) there is a disclaimer if ever I heard one.

Cheers

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

looks like it could be quite a lot of fun. And for only 64 pounds, you can't really go too wrong. enjoy!!!!

sammy.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

Doesn't it look better in the dark?

Looks like one of our old farm trailers - certainly not a Sankey of recent years and will probably need some mods to be street legal (can't remember the latest regs on braked trailers).

Still, for 60 odd quids it's a fun thing to have and play with as a resto I guess :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

it says "reserve not met" . You shure you got it ??

Peter R.

Reply to
Peter R.

might well do

bloomin charming!!

certainly not a Sankey of

Wanted a sankey, but they are more money than I have ATM.

from what I can figure out it shouldn't need to many mods, obviously lighting, but as far as the brakes go I believe it should fall into modern standards (i hope).

That was convincing, not! I have most of the necessary lying around to do it up, and have been needing a trailer, so I thought it might be a cheap option. Besides, even if I just throw some paint at it I'm sure I could make a few quid. (not sure who I'm trying to convince, you or me).

Cheers

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Cheers Sammy, I really hope you are right. Was a gamble to say the least.

Reply to
Graham G

I was actually serious in saying that for what you paid, it'll be a good fun project. If you'd have paid a couple of hundred I would have been a lot clearer in my analysis, though :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Twas Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:14:00 +0000 (UTC) when "Graham G" put finger to keyboard producing:

John Craddocks have sankeys for £150, just thought you'd like to know.....

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Candid as always :o)

Reply to
Graham G

yeah, knew that, thats about £130 more than I can afford ;o) To be honest I can't afford the £60 I paid, but hey.

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Aren't the regs based on when the trailer was made though? So if it's a prehistoric trailer it might get away with having bad brakes.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

Ah, yes, you're probably quite correct - stop talking sense Everett...

Reply to
Mother

:o) If its as prehistoric as it looks then I won't need to worry at all :o)

Reply to
Graham G

On or around Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:01:34 +0000, Paul Everett enlightened us thusly:

hmmm.

only in certain respects, I think...

I read the rules as: if the trailer is under 750Kg gross AND under half the kerb weight of the towing vehicle, you don't need brakes.

There are things about couplings - a spring coupling is still legit on old trailers (pre-83 I think) but ones made after that should have hydraulic dampers, and after about 1987 you should have auto-reverse brakes.

from C&U:

  1. Unbraked trailers (1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road an unbraked wheeled trailer if :- (a) its laden weight exceeds its maximum gross weight; or (b) it is drawn by a vehicle of which the kerbside weight is less than twice the sum of the unladen weight of the trailer and the weight of any load which the trailer is carrying. (2) This regulation does not apply to :- (a) an agricultural trailer; or (b) a trailer mentioned in paragraph (b), (bb), (be), (c), (d), (e), (f) or (g) of regulation 16(3).

Regulation 16 concerns braking systems on vehicles first used before 1983.

16(3) is below...

(3) This regulation does not apply to the following vehicles, except in the case of a vehicle referred to in (a) insofar as the regulation concerns parking brakes (requirements 16 to 18 in Schedule 3) :-

(a) a locomotive first used before 2nd January 1933, propelled by steam, and with an engine which is capable of being reversed;

(b) a trailer which is designed for use and used for street cleansing and does not carry any load other than its necessary gear and equipment;

(ba) a trailer which has a maximum total design axle weight that does not exceed 750 kg;

(bb) a trailer which :- (i) is an agricultural trailer manufactured before 1st July 1947; (ii) is being drawn by a motor tractor or an agricultural motor vehicle at a speed not exceeding 10 mph; (iii) has a laden weight not exceeding 4070 kg; and (iv) is the only trailer being drawn;

(bc) a trailer which is being drawn by a motor cycle in accordance with regulation 84

(c) an agricultural trailed appliance;

(d) an agricultural trailed appliance conveyor;

(e) a broken down vehicle;

(f) before 1st October 1986 (i) a trailer with an unladen weight not exceeding 102 kg which was manufactured before 1st October 1982; and (ii) a gritting trailer; or

(g) on or after 1st October 1986, a gritting trailer with a maximum gross weight not exceeding 2000 kg.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I know what it is!!

I collected it on sunday, very uneventful, just how I like it. Its in reasonable order, wouldn't go so far as to say good order, but I think I can do something with it. The plate on it details it as a 1 tonne sankey convoy trailer, built in 1953. Have seen one advertised since in the LRO magazine

for £175. They list it as a Brockhouse trailer, designed to go behind a bedford so spot on QuizB, you win the star prize... smugness ;o) Its on 9.00 x 20 tyres (need two if anyone in the midlands has a couple they want to give me), with eight stud split rims.

It is one heck of a lot bigger in real life from a photo, and bloomin heavy as my truck will testfly having towed it 108miles home on a trailer.

Have been trawling the net since in search of any further information on it, with limited success so far. More particularly I need some parts details and where I can get them, if anyone happens to come accross any such useful information I'd be very grateful if you passed it on to me.

Haven't just decided whether I'll keep it or just do it up a bit and flog it. Was all for flogging it yesturday, but am quite taken by it today. Dad seems to be eyeing it up to for use round the farm. Either way I think I will have done ok.

Kind Regards

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

On or around Tue, 17 Feb 2004 22:41:05 +0000 (UTC), "Graham G" enlightened us thusly:

so all you need now is a Bedford for it to go behind. that might be tricky, at that - I think in 1953 you'd be looking at the one before the MK, but it's MKs that are relatively easily-sourced.

must be a sod to reverse...

I know a chap with an Austin K9... wonder if he'd be interested. It'd make a nice pair with that trailer.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Graham G writes

As it happens.

I think I might have two spare wheels/tyres for my old Beford RL

I will have to check the brambles.

Unfortunately I am not in the midlands but Kent.

Reply to
marc

:o) yeah. Think it will be ok behind 101 for a bit. track width is pretty similar, its about 4 inches wider, which won't hurt as long as I don't go off road. Will do a bit to it, use it in the mean time and sell it later on for a rapier trailer or sankey.

Haven't tried yet. Shouldn't have thought it will be too bad as there is reasonable length between the hitch and axle.

I guess I'm open to offers, depending on what they are, cos I'd have to replace it with something. Its useful to me as a trailer as much as for a project. Might swap for a more appropriate trailer.

Graham

Reply to
Graham G