Mirror Glass Knocked Off In Accident

A friend of mine hit a Discovery and knocked the glass from the mirror. The glass wasn't broken, just left it hanging by ther wires. I'm 300 miles away so I can't see what's inside of the mirror. Any ideas of how hard/easy this wil be to fix and price? Thanks.

Reply to
Hurricane1000

Is it a 200 or 300 (Tdi)?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Sat, 08 Jul 2006 11:54:43 +0100, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

on the 300 there's a bit between the works and the mirror that can break. happened to ours. also the little plastic racks for the adjustment can get broken although that can be bodged by setting the mirror in the right place an applying a bit of chewing gum or blu-tak or suchlike.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The reason I asked is that, as you say, the 300Tdi version has a plastic "ring" that secures the glass to the motor pack, whereas for the 200Tdi versions a new motor pack is required, which is not far off the proce of a new mirror assembly (manual ones need a new mirror anyway).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

drivers mirror on mine needs a new one of those and (I think) the horizontal adjustment motor - are they available separately or do I need the full gizmo?

Reply to
William Tasso

On or around Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:46:01 +0100, "William Tasso" enlightened us thusly:

the bit between the mirror glass and the works is available but the plastic gear rack is part of the main thing and as such you have to buy the whole thing I think. It's on the list for the disco here sometime. meanwhile it stays in place with a bit of blu-tak provided you don't want to move it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If you mean the motor pack, then it's a whole new mirror.... and a mortgage! (£104.46 inc VAT)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I though he meant the motor - the ring is available separately for the 300Tdi version - £2.29 inc VAT Genuine, £1.73 inc VAT Britpart.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

just one motor - the horizontal one is not working.

ouch!

a trip to the breakers seems to be called for.

Reply to
William Tasso