Mirrors & MOT

I know there are some MOT experts in here, can I pick your brains?

The other half has comprehensively naggered her off side drivers door mirror (apart from the glass but the all the housing and mounts are bust). The car needs an MOT before the tax runs out at the end of the month...

Will it fail the MOT with a missing drivers door mirror? The nearside door mirror and interior mirror are fine.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

it shouldnt fail. You only need 2 out of the 3 mirrors for the MOT.

My landy only has a drivers and interior mirror, and 101 ambis dont have interior mirrors just 2 sides.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I'm sure you only need 1 door mirror and it has to be the driver one.

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

wayne

It only needs 2 out of the 3 mirrors but one must be the offside door mirror sorry but it should fail

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

...and Andy.Smalley spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Dave doesn't say what the vehicle, but if it's a 90/110, I'm pretty sure the l/h mirror will reverse (or can be made to reverse) to get through the test.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Take a look at the MOT testers manual online at

The requirements depend on age of the vehicle and how many seats it has.

HTH

Reply to
SteveG

No need:

Information Obligatory mirrors Obligatory mirrors are a. an exterior mirror fitted to the offside (right-hand side when seated in the drivers seat), or

b, an exterior mirror fitted to the nearside fleft hand side when seated In the drivers seat), or

c. an interior mirror.

Passenger vehicles with no more than 7 passenger seats first used before 1 August 1978 must have any one of the above options.

Passenger vehicles with more than 7 passenger seats of any age, and all passenger vehicles first used on or after I August 1978 (not being a minibus as above), must have two mirrors, one of which must be option 'a'.

  1. Check the obligatory mirrors for presence, security, condition and usability.

Reasons for rejection:

  1. An obligatory mirror:

a. missing or insecure

b. so damaged or deteriorated that the view to the rear is seriously impaired

c. does not provide a view to the rear of the vehicle

d. not clearly visible from the drivers seat, or incapable of being adjusted to be clearly visible from the drivers seat.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

How about thwacking on a bonnet-mounted caravan mirror? That should do it I'd have thought.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Thanks chaps, even if there is a bit of disagreement, usenet wouldn't be= usenet without a bit of frank discussion. B-)

Anyway the motor is a 3 year old Fiesta(*) so falls into the needing two= mirrors one of which must be exterior drivers side. Begger. Still I now =

have some bookmarks for "definative" MOT test words and know it will hav= e to be replaced. The good news is that a whole new mirror assembly shouldn't be much over =A340 from a dealers, not colour matched but I'm = not that fussed about that.

(*) She likes the DII but has yet to try and drive it. I'm not sure I want to be about when she does. Bit of a big leap from a Fiesta to Land =

Rover and she has never driven anything bigger than a Fiesta...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice