Misbehaving 110 ignition light (ex-MOD)

Went out tonight, switched off the engine, and on came the ignition light with the key out. Put the key in and switched on the ignition and the oil light came on, and the ignition light went out. Started the engine and the ignition light stayed out, stopped the engine and on came the light with the key out. It is unaffected in the blackout position - any ideas?

MTIA

Reply to
Bob Miller

Classic symptoms of a dodgy alternator!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

BUT check the wiring also.

Reply to
Gmacz

try youre local CIS COOP INSURANCE . they are cheaper than anyone else but arent allowed to advertise . the bonus for me is that the REP comes round the house in the evening and does all the paperwork while i wait and also prints off a cover note there and then .

no need to worry about those lazt gits who affect us with postal strikes !!!

Reply to
M0bcg

I'd agree with you (and David) on this. Our houses, contents and Discovery are with the CIS :-)

No, not always - but they are fair, and do pay out without fuss in the event of a valid claim :-)

Erm... Not actually correct... They can and do advertise and broadly sponsor a number of events.

Well, my father (who died 10 years ago) was a CIS Agent for 25 odd years and used to 'write' the cover notes. Technology huh? I'd thought that most 'cover notes' were still hand written...

Postal strikes are irrelevant. Most insurers will offer cover over the phone. At the point the Credit Card company logs the debit (provided you later complete the proposal form etc) the insurance is valid.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Cover over the phone isnt much use if you want to tax the car (which often seems to fall at the same sort of time as insurance renewal).

Maybe one day they'll sort out road tax and make it somewhat easier and more sensible! (though i'm told you can pay using plastic now which is a start!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Went out tonight, switched off the engine, and on came the ignition light with the key out.

Classic symptoms of a dodgy alternator!

Bit more info - put an Avo (greatest meter ever made!) on the battery and it said about 10.8V. Ran the engine on fast idle for about 10 minutes and it crept up to about 12.6V over a couple of minutes and then settled there. Revving the engine hard didn't do anything. Stopped the engine and the volts didn't drop. Haven't had a chance to check the wiring but sounds like a sick alternator to me - Oh bum!

Reply to
Bob Miller

Yeah I guess, but RFL can be (has to be) backdated to the start of the month... Insurance runs from the specific 'time' (and date) that the covernote states. I'd sooner backdate my RFL rather than get stopped with no insurance - or worse, have an accident and effectively be uninsured.

Also worth a mention in case others don't know, that insurance, even if you have it, is not legally valid on any vehicle you purchase if it does not have a current MOT - AT THE TIME IT IS INSURED.

To clarify, you will, if having it insured fully comp, get cover for a tree falling through it if it's in your back garden, however, you will NOT have Third Party cover (a statutory requirement in UK Law). Such cover only includes taking it directly to an MOT station for a pre-booked test. If you live in Sunderland and collect the vehicle from Southampton, you are really pushing your (non) luck :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

On or around Fri, 7 Nov 2003 23:12:07 -0000, "Bob Miller" enlightened us thusly:

does indeed. and you can blow AVOs up... sounds like a mostly-dead alternator. If you have a lucas service place within reach, it'd be worth unbolting it and taking it round to dee if they'll test it, might be something simple like the regulator up the shoot, which is cheaper than a new one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 7 Nov 2003 23:12:07 -0000, "Bob Miller" enlightened us thusly:

double-check by putting the battery on charge, and seeing how it behaves on the charger.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It was the alternator - thanks to all for the assistance!

Reply to
Bob Miller