Modernising the headlamps of a Discovery

Can someone please come up with a solution to this problem please.I intend to replace the Headlamps of my year 2000 model Discovery with the Headlamps from the 2004 model but i am stuck because the connections in the 2004 headlamp is a multi plug and socket for the headlamps / side lamps / direction indicators/ and not the old type that is a three pin socket and plug connection for the headlamps only . The Land Rover Dealer parts department suggestion is buy a new loom @ £400 ( they have got to be joking). I know this is a long shot, does anyone know of a 2004 discovery being broken up, or where to get a multi plug and socket with about eight connections that would do the job. Other suggestions on how i could solve this problem would be welcomed.

Thanks

Reply to
alan kearn

in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, alan kearn at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 24/5/04 3:03 pm:

Do the new shape lights fit in the same gap then?

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

On or around Tue, 25 May 2004 10:01:43 +0100, Nikki Cluley enlightened us thusly:

I suspect the grille/bumper/panels are different, BICBW. Then again, more or less anything will fit if you try hard enough...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's been done before - one of the mechanics at the local dealer has done his. I almost had a go at mine, but bottled it (it's a bit more serious doing a 300, but not impossible).

The gap is the same, but you need a different filler panel underneath with the circular cut out. And the connector is different, because all the lights are housed in one unit, rather than the indicator being separate.

If the entire loom is the smallest part available in the parts catalogue (and I find that a bit odd) then perhaps a call to Lucas (or whoever it is who makes the lights) could turn something up. I doubt if it will be a connector unique to the Discovery. Or perhaps a decent auto-sparky would recognise it and be able to get one.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Easily done,replace front panel on old Discovery with one made for the new Discovery

Reply to
alan kearn

Probably replying to the wrong post entirely, but...

I've been told that the guy(s) at Auto Sparks

can source more or less any connector.

I've not tried them, but might be doing soon...

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

It's actually

Martin Lewis

On or around 25 May 2004 12:38:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (alan kearn) enlightened us thusly:

hmmm. tempting...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

One tiny questionette - everyone is talking about filler panels etc - how does the new light attached to the front bulkhead? With the same 3 connectors?

Neil

Reply to
Neil Brownlee