modified piston on mantec wheel carrier...

hi, when i bought my defender 90, it came with an unfitted second hand mantec spare wheel carrier. i have the arm bolted on now and it fits the holes fine, but the piston housing (clamp thing) seems to have an extra steel block welded on to it that doesn't look like it belongs. it seems like the added depth will mean the piston is too far away from the door. perhaps it was modified to fit a different vehicle?

if i could draw a decent picture....it might look a bit like this from an end-view.

_O_ < piston container thingy |___| < hollow steel block/box welded on, about 2 inches thick.

am i right in saying the piston housing should be bolted flush against the door? without the big 2 inch gap from the block? i want to get the angle grinder at it to cut off the box, but would appreciate an experienced opinion in case i ruin it.

many thanks tim p.s. do you need to use the 2 bolt holes in the upper hinge? there was a hole already for the one on the right which i have securely bolted on, but the one on the left doesn't have a matching hole (yet) and it looks like it would be hard to fit a nut on it from the inside. i tried swinging off the carrier and it held my weight very solidly so i'm guessing it might be enough!

Reply to
Tim_Mac

When I got my Mantec carrier it came with the bit you describe, but was not welded to the piston holder thingy.

I agree if you use it the piston is far too far away from the door.

I never used it, just bolted the piston holder thingy straight to a new piece of aluminium that I got cut (to cover up the old holes in the door). Works like a charm now.

I did actually speak to Mantec, they said it was not a packing error and that it should be their. They could not tell me exactly how I should use it though!!!!

I think I would get the angle grinder out and cut it off again, or better still find someone with a plasma cutter to blow it off!

Jon

Reply to
Jon

hi jon thanks for the advice, exactly what i was hoping for! cheers tim

Reply to
Tim_Mac

In message , Tim_Mac writes

I'll have a look at mine tomorrow.

Reply to
hugh

I cant remember the bolts causing me a real problem. Think from memory you just need to do the one nearest the door first.

Jon

Reply to
Jon