More Rain

Whats happening to the world!

An inch an hour and its been raining all day!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

You lot in the rainy parts have my sympathy - cos the world appears to have forgotten the rules. You're all drowning in midsummer and I'm enjoying cloudless warm sunny days when I expect it to be chilly and bucketing down.

Reply to
EMB

"Mark Solesbury" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

It's Nige's fault for buying a caravan, have a nice weekend Nige :-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy

school holidays have just started (in many parts of the UK), hence the abundance of rain...

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

I've just come back from the sadly inappropriately named Bath, not an inch of water anywhere. Someone must have pulled the plug.

I see the floods got that thar lon-don this time too, might have washed some of the grime away.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Cheltenham is floating. It's flooded worse that it gig 3 weeks or so ago. Took me 2 hrs to drive 5 miles to pick up a mate form work. Drove a main road that was a 3 inch river, several 6 inch deep bits then a 200m long over the top of the wheels bit.....twice...one to pick up my passenegers and then again to drive home. Disco didn't complain once, well it got a bit lumpy and turned into a V6.5 but a bit of WD 40 solved that!.

Got home to find my sis has 3 inchs of shitty water in her flat. Off through chelt on venice to sort her out!. Just got back and it's still raining!!

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

Blimey, hope it goes OK, just reading about areas in Berkshire I used to live in, same areas that flooded when I lived out Reading way, back then I took a tootle in the Defender and it was pretty deep in some places, sounds similar this time around.

I'm just looking up Windsor at the moment, my sister has come down from Scotland on holiday and is planning on going to Legoland with the kids tomorrow, Windsor seems to be awash though, have told her to check before leaving.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Strangely (this being Wales, land of song and perpetual precipitation), we've had steady light rain all day, no floods, no drama. I watched the news and nearly snapped my farting strings at the sight of a Jeep trying to negotiate a flooded section of road in London. Far too fast for a nice bow wave - just a wall of water as the nose hit the flood, over the roof, got half-way, stalled. Nothing funnier. Made my day.

Reply to
Rich B

I reckon the kids must have been on holiday since the start of May. Its nice splashing in the puddles with the Landy, but there is a limit

- I am ready for some warm dry weather please (so I can get the leak in my house roof fixed).

I like it when the cars pull over to watch you go through a flood so they can see how deep it is, and then you see them in the rear view mirror turning around - thinking "There is no way I am going into water THAT deep". Thats a good feeling.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Looks like I tempted fate a little too much - it's doing the inch an hour thing here now too, but at least that's not unusual so the drains are coping.

Reply to
EMB

Better pray this stops by autumn - the leaves play havoc with the drains.

Do you think the price of snorkels has gone up ?

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Certainly in Thatcham;

A friend of mine lives there and has just been telling me about it, the train station looks like a canal in the pictures. PLus a shot of some quite rough waqter and what appears to be a Defender 110 CSW being washed away.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Amazing stuff, in some pictures it looks like a dam has broken. Nothing like the BBC news pictures I have seen twice today of them worrying about canal barges in Stratford-on-Avon. They are boats for gods sake, why are they worrying about boats, they float. Who cares if a canal barge gets beached, at least the people in it have dry carpets, and its probably rented anyway.

Calm down, Steve, have a beer. Righto

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

why do so many people just leave their cars in the drive to drown? I'd drive mine a short distance away (obviously a higher place!) once the water started rising and then run back home to start moving my stuff!

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

I think I saw a shot of one today, beached in a pub car park. That's not going to be easy to get back in the water.

Reply to
Rich B

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I know of a few who would be taking there cars to the lowest possible places around too :-) but yes it does leave me stunned, I made the same comment today.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Mark Solesbury uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I wonder if we get our deposits back for the August unofficial if Norfolk actually washes away.

At this rate we'll all be sat in those orange life rafts with built in tents having a beer.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In article , Cheshire Steve writes

In many cases the boats are not rented, and in some cases they are peoples homes. It is possible for them to sink in these conditions, so that is people homeless, if they are away from their boats at the time, there is nothing they can do to save them.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

I know, I was on a Thames sailing barge for many years where you have to contend with the tide twice a day and a lot of windage. Anyone who owns one of these (or the person running the basin, or inland waterways) should know enough to use a few mooring lines to keep them off the towpath.

I think the focus from the BBC was directed in the wrong place, when thousands of houses are flooded, and there are risks to water, electricity, sewage, food supplies, livestock etc for hundreds of thousands.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

chances of this part the country washing away due to rainfall are (touching wood) very low. The Welland, Nene and Ouse are probably amongst the greatest controlled rivers in the country. For example, the Ouse has a huge wash that can be sacrificed, and the welland which is only 1 mile from my house has 30ft high banks, and then a second bank to one side that at places is two miles from the river, and 30ft high as well. This encloses an area of land about 12 miles long, which is a shed load of capacity should anywhere look like flooding. If you want to have a look at some of this, try the following locations in Google Earth with the features switched on

52°42'28"N 0°09'27"E - switch on roads and names, and the names are "barrier bank", "wash bank" etc 52°34'57"N 0°03'29"E Adventurers land, so called because it was a big adventure to drain the land, and have a look at the pictures of the sluice at Whittlesey 52°30'45"N 0°14'55"E Welney, there are two dead straight lines, all that area can be flooded deliberately, and in extreme emergencies, as you zoom out you will see Ten Mile Bar at 52°32'51"N 0°09'27"E, and the area between Welney and there can be flooded.

Our campsite at 52°42'28"N 0°09'27"E could be soggy, but should not be flooded by rainfall or a river bursting it banks. The main threat is the sea bank being breached, and there are two of those between the campsite and the sea!

The last time we flooded here was 1953, funny that given that we are a "high risk flood area" and very few insurace companies will touch you for house insurance..... Thing is systems in place here mean that these three rivers can be deliberately breached in places, sacrifing land in place of houses.

Oh, that and the fact that round here the councils have enough common sense to block most building on flood plains. Half the problems are caused by stupid planners allowing flood plains to be built on, which then need to be protected, meaning that the water has to go somewhere else, eventually the volume of water and tides mean that the flooding is worse than it would have been if they had left the flood plain alone.

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs