More tax on Wednesday

"Budget 'to hit gas guzzlers hard'

Mr Brown is currently deciding what is likely to be his final Budget Gordon Brown is expected to radically raise the tax on larger-engined cars in Wednesday's Budget.

Some reports suggest that road tax on the least fuel efficient cars will double to about 400 a year."

No mention of whether it'll only apply to new cars, although I expect so, given the way the "tax bands" are split up.

Also the beeb's not rabbiting on about "4x4s" much these days, which is a positive I suppose.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

snip

They were on the BBC morning TV news ....... it was all gas guzzling 4X4 with pictures of the same in the background.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

In message , Ian Rawlings writes

If the government are acting cognisantly they'll be drawing up a schedule based on CO2 emissions, the details of which are already standard info. It should have nothing to do with how many wheels are driven. Most diesel powered 4x4's are 'competitively' low in carbon belching terms.

Reply to
mv

Oh well, so much for that theory ;-) Reminds me why I don't have TV any more.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

It'll just be the new tax bands introduced a little while ago, so the £400 will be on band G most likely, which contains 22 4x4s and about

130 non-4x4s last time someone in this group counted. Mind you if it was someone in this group who counted, anything by BMW wouldn't have been counted as a 4x4 ;-)

Mind you I already pay more for my Defender than I do for my Audi, so I suspect that the difference between then will be increased, probably £200 for the defender for example. It's a shame the pinz is just one year too "modern" to escape altogether!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Mon, 19 Mar 2007 08:56:23 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

they were on the news, I gather, since mother said so.

Anyone else think this is just the usual pre-budget scaremongering? Almost excatly the same as last year "Chancellor will tax 4x4s off the road!!!" then when it's "only" a 240 quid upper band on the graduated VED (and, in fact, I support that) everyone says "phew, that's not as bad as it was 'supposed' to be".

"some reports suggest" is a very long way from fact.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:13:55 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@movingvision.co.uk enlightened us thusly:

except of course for the ones with 5-litre V10s. and frankly, no-one

*needs* a 5-litre engine in any normal-sized vehicle for any normal purpose, so if you CHOOSE to have such a thing then I don't see why you shouldn't pay for it. I would rather see more of the proceeds used for genuinely useful things, not funding wars and nuclear bombs though.

I've submitted a petition about that last, will see if they accept it soon. watch this space.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Do they give you a hard time about it? I rented a room from a guy with no tv years ago, the swines were always knocking on the door to see his licence. They usually got a bit embarressed when he produced his registered blind card. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

No, I live out in the country in a village with apparently 600 people in it although blowed if I can see where they all live. License bods tend to stick to the cities where there's dense populations of old ladies to terrorize.

I did recently get some letters to Theo Ccupier from them, and also "Mr Mgr Rawlings", as I'd bought some computer gear for receiving telly but I wrote back saying that I don't even have an aerial on the house, which is true. A failed digital TV install was removed last month after I got tired with the installers buggering about trying to get it to work for 3 months.

Daft. Not sure why they kept hassling him, I've never had anyone call at the house, and two recent letters to A. N. Other Random Name at my address is all I've had in almost a year.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

BBC reckon it will be new cars only. Bit of a bummer really. I traded down from a 110 to a Suziki Grand Vitara and I was planning a 'well if it's going to hit us anyway I might as well get a Rangie'

Reply to
John Moppett

And except that there is already a perfectly adequate way to penalize people who pollute more without involving any judgement about their choice of vehicle. It is the fuel tax.

Hard to see why I should pay more just to own a vehicle that, while rated at 284g/km, does only 10,000 mile a year compared to some company car that may be rated at 150g/km and clocks up, say, 30,000 miles in a year.

Of course, if taxation on cars is not about pollution...

Pete

Reply to
Peter Harrison

Greetings, Your Holiness.

Reply to
Rich B

hmm. reminds me that its been a good few years since i filled in anything with a stupid name on. I must start doing it again to liven up my junk mail! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Ach, demoted again!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yeah, I bought my new RR just before last years budget and the guys in the office were doing that "he's gonna have to pay loads more than us" dance ....

Oh boy did I laugh when the V8 went up a fiver and the NEW RR went up to £205 ROFL. They of course realised the error of their ways when they worked it out and nearly everyone was paying the SAME rate as me for my gas guzzler :>

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Yebbut, you have the last laugh anyway, a better motor to commute in.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

In message , Tom Woods writes

I put myself down as a jedi on the last census, but still no light sabre

Reply to
hugh

In message , Oily writes

But my (literally) gas guzzler (V8 on LPG) is carbon negative because a) I am using up the propane produced as a by-product of refining the petrol used to fuel the Prius which would be burnt off anyway and b) I am not burning the petrol I would otherwise be if I ran a standard car.

So I'll write to that nice Mr brown (AKA Stalin) and ask for a refund.

Reply to
hugh

Dont hold your breath. I wrote a year ago and asked for the duty back on fuel I had no option but to purchase from a garage where duty is applied, when the fuel was used *off* road on private property. I was very polite and suggested that since duty was an element for road vehicles, given that farm traffic does not need to pay duty, I should be given the same option for fuel used other than on the highway. They didnt even have the courtesy to reply :o)

Reply to
nullified

I put "Land Rover" for my religion and earned £1,000,000 a year from being on the dole (well, that's what I put on those consumer surveys and shop card forms I fill in when I'm bored, so I'm at least consistent).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd