More ZF autobox oddities.

Although, unlike Austin, I think I've killed this one.

('87 EFi, 107k miles)

Went to North Wales today, upon reaching my destination the gearbox temp light came on and I didn't have reverse gear for a couple of minutes. Thinking this was a bit odd I did the usual fluid level check. Level seemed to be rather high - lots higher than it should be. Left the car for an hour or so then checked the level again, still way too high (this is, I admit, the first time I've checked it on this car). Thinking this could be the cause of the problem (fluid is nice and red, doesn't smell burnt or have any crap in it) I dropped some fluid from the box. Reverse returned to duty as it should.

Few miles later and the box is making some bloody 'orrible noises. 1st gear is slipping on take off - sounds like a something has gone a bit terminal.

Once the car is moving the box works fine. All gears select properly and smoothly, engine braking is fine if gears are manually selected, but it's definately unhappy.

Should the oil level be much higher when the box is hot??

Why do I get the feeling I'm going to be changing gearboxes this weekend?

Reply to
Pete M

Repost because it didn't seem to show up. Pete M wittered on forthwith;

Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:f8qr2b$7tg$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

S'alright Pete they both came through I reckon its one for Martin (Oily) though leaving it for an hour will raise the level as it drains back from the cooler . Derek

Reply to
Derek

In news:xh6si.2812$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-win.ntli.net, Derek wittered on forthwith;

Ta for the reply. It shows up on the other news swervers I use, but not on the one that I posted it from. Weird.

As for the fluid draining back, I checked the level with the engine running, I don't think there's another accurate way of doing it.

I have a feeling when the trans. oil cooler was replaced the fluid level has been topped up somewhat excessively. (Not by me)

Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:fu6si.41283$% snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Aye yer not wrong at normal temp running with box in neutral ( and bricking in case summat loose finds something spinning ) fuuny I just googled coefficient of expansion for ATF and found a Honda forum complaint that an overfilled box was causing gearchange problems? Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Wed, 1 Aug 2007 21:16:40 +0100, "Pete M" enlightened us thusly:

The level will be higher when hot, yes; hence if the dipstick is marked "cold" then you should check it cold.

somewhere I have the diagnostic stuff for it, and so no doubt does Badger.

aha. It's RAVE. There's some good stuff in the road-test procedure: "CHECK 17 At approximately 128 kph (80 mph) depress throttle to kickdown - gearbox should change down to 3rd -release throttle to re-engage 4th direct drive clutch and continue to accelerate gently."

for example. Never actually done that one, although I have check 16 - at 55 mph, for kickdown into second. 's quite exciting.

so to sum up, the symptoms now are: 1st slipping on take-off and everything else OK, or have you still got noises?

could be that the filter need changing - which is a bit of a tart to do, involving grovelling underneath and so forth unless you're blessed with a pit or a lift. Filter is about 25 quid, or was last time I bought one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles wittered on forthwith;

This thing'll kick down at anything upto about 90..

1st slipping, still got noises.

Going to do the filter today.

Fingers crossed, etc.

I've got the RRC workshop CD but I don't have the transmission pressure gauge to check out half the stuff. According to their diagnostic procedures it might, hopefully, be just the filter.

Otherwise, I've got to change the gearbox.

Reply to
Pete M

On or around Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:29:10 +0100, "Pete M" enlightened us thusly:

well, you've not got "A" clutch failure. that leads to no forward drive, only reverse... this is a failure point on the earlier 4-speed (i.e. 4HP22 as fitted to classics), AIUI they addressed it on later ones by fitting a larger clutch - I've an idea I recall Badger saying that you can fit the larger clutch to an ealier box, BICBW.

Reply to
Austin Shackles