Morph's depressed.

Well today I finally got around to doing the compression test I should have done along time ago but never had the kit.

Results.

1 = 130 lbs 2 = 135 lbs 3 = 135 lbs 4 = 130 " 5 = 135 " 6 = 150 " 7 = Zero...zilch...nothing... not a titter on the meter. 8 = 152 lbs

So Dad recons a burnt exhaust valve...

Plug was well oiled up when removed.

Engine make no noises of note... perhaphs a rattle similar to one tappet.

Morph was running ok, all be it hills became a chore, 65 mph was my fastest ever acheivement although it's a long time since I've seen him there come to think of it.

No overheating to speak of either.

What is the groups considered opinion please.

V8 in a 101 early lump.

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

Let's start with typewriters."

Well if you've got a loss of compression there's only a limited amount of of places you can go. The head has got to come off to fix the problem anyway so you may as well take it off to have a look to see what's causing it.

The only other option I suppose is to take it to a garage who can do a "leak down" test; which would tell you where the problem lies, but again you are still going to have to take the head off. I've got a spare in the shed if it's totally shagged!

I would have thought it's just head gasket, but like you say it could equally be a burnt valve or (sharp intake of breath) a hole in the piston or something. The problem always is finding out what caused the item to fail not the fixing of it.

I'm just on my way out the door now to go and play with the V8 bobtail, might take the compression tester with me...........

Dave

94 Range Rover Tdi '94 Discovery Tdi (in bits) '84 Landrover 90 2.5D (in fewer bits) '72 Range Rover bobtail V8 trialler / comper '62 Series 2a trialler (retd.)
Reply to
edeowner

During stardate 19 Oct 2005 05:42:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com uttered the imortal words:

Cheers for the offer. I've got a spare (untested yet) SD1 lump and also a spare pair of SD1 heads, though I'm suspicious as why some one would take them off in the first place. (Bought 2 V8's and loads of spares as a package deal)

I've also got another SD1 lump sat in Percy that is going nowhere fast at the moment, again untested as yet (Chassis rot won the race!).

I'll whip the heads off and have a looksee. At worest it'll lighten the load if I do have to take the whole thing out :0(.... On the bright side it'll be dry while I'm doing it all.

Good luck!

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

During stardate Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:47:23 +0100, Austin Shackles uttered the imortal words:

Petrol....lots of it.

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:52:40 +0100, Lee_D enlightened us thusly:

could still be an UL issue, mind. LPG is worse than UL.

'fraid it's head-off time for a looksee, innit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Let's start with typewriters."

squirt some 20w50 into the offending pot(100cc) via the plug 'ole and do the compression test again if it comes up rings if not X the fingers its a sticking valve. Derek

Reply to
Derek

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:24:20 +0100, Lee_D scribbled the following nonsense:

I would reckon on a duff valve too, but could also be a holed piston (you will have crankcase pressure too)

When doing a dry test, it always good to watch the pressure gauge, as pressure that builds rapidly indicates ok rings, but a gradual increase suggests worn rings.

Also do a wet test by squirting some oil into each cylinder and repeating the test. It is recomended to do this with each test as can give a clearer indication of the problem.

Putting oil in the bores will temporily seal the rings, and can show piston ring wear, as the reading will be higher.

SWMBO's suzuki engine had one cylinder really low compared to the others, but a squirt of oil brought it to be around the same, giving a diagnosis of poor cylinder wall to piston seal.

No change in the pressure will indicate a duff valve, duff head gasket or even a fault with the head, such as a crack.

I may not sure, but ISTR that the minimum reading for the V8 is

150psi, with no difference between cylinders greater than about 20psi...

I would go do the wet test, compare the results, check for crankcase pressure and then make a decision as to whether or not the engine needs a rebore in addition to new valves.

Sorry if sounds doom and gloom!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Or you could just put a Tdi in it............

'94 Range Rover Tdi '94 Discovery Tdi (> During stardate 19 Oct 2005 05:42:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Let's start with typewriters."

Reply to
edeowner

The 3,5 V8's will run quite happily on 7 cylinders without much noticable differnece in a 101. I had mine running on 7 for 2 months because one of the plug leads dropped off, i didn't notice the difference, it just ran a little smoother once it was back on.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Try squerting some oil down the plug hole, then re check compresion if there is no change probably a valve, but if the reading comes up probably a piston ring fault! But like every one else says either way head off so you may as well cut to the chase!

Icky

Reply to
the ickys

During stardate Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:03:28 +0000 (UTC), Simon Isaacs uttered the imortal words:

HBOL has it at 135 psi but Thats for the Rangie lumps, don't suppose that theres much difference. That said several are just below 130 and if the heads all have to come off then the valves can have the therapy.

I will check with a squirt iin each bore first.

Long term plan is similar to Martyns with an Auto but the pocket money aint no where near that at the mo :0(

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

During stardate 19 Oct 2005 12:10:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com uttered the imortal words:

Pah!

Wash your mouth out!

;0)

That would be a move from music to the ears to a Jack hammer to the fiillings.

With the way diesel prices are going I couldn't afford :0)

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

During stardate Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:37:59 +0100, Austin Shackles uttered the imortal words:

I've read in the past that as they are Alloy heads then they have valve seats fitted which supposedly got around any issues with UL.

If not whats the crack with SD1 engines?

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

During stardate Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:11:06 GMT, "the ickys" uttered the imortal words:

yep...guess I'll have a butchers tomorrow. Got offered an endoscope from work but by the time I fetch it and look I can have half of it stripped down. I'd still have to strip it down eitherway.

Will not bother getting gaskets just yet.. if the heads bad and the cams looking past it's best then I've got to start looking at one of these other lumps.

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

It's only the very early car engines (P6?) that have a problem with the valve seats & unleaded.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On 19 Oct 2005 12:10:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com scribbled the following nonsense:

IIRC there is a 101 owner who put a tdi in a GS, but found it a bit under powered. A GS is somewhat lighter than an ambi.

My deisel engine of choice would be a 4.0 Perkins Pazer if I ever ditch the V8 (given its now LPG, unlikely). Having said that, I have a friend who works at Perkins, so can engines easily. They sell em cheap to the staff because they failed test on stuff like a leaking gasket.... Cheaper to do that than dismantle and rebuild.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Thu, 20 Oct 2005 00:05:39 +0100, Lee_D enlightened us thusly:

still fancy a 5-litre straight-8 made out of 2xTDi... I'm sure the fuelling issues can be sorted... if only by getting an 8-cylinder injection pump and fitting that instead.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 20 Oct 2005 07:48:34 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

I though it was all the pre-76 (pre-SD1) ones. The valve seats didn't need to be so hard when all the petrol was leaded. Early Rangies and probably

101s have the pre-SD1 engine.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 20 Oct 2005 08:55:19 +0000 (UTC), Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

isn't Steve putting a TDi in one of his?

bear in mind that the TDi is tough enough to take a bit of upgrading - up the boost a touch, bigger intercooler...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

During stardate Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:29:36 +0100, Austin Shackles uttered the imortal words:

Yes indeed but that was for neither economy or power purposes...twas to ovride the constant chatter of the kids in the back (speaks another fellow sufferer.)

"Are we nearly there yet?", "NO!", "I want a wee!"