MOT Emmisions Failure

Usually cos they'd holed the middle pot, at least my brothers did. They did sound nice on full chat though.

Reply to
Simon Barr

The metal plug caps were also pretty damn s**te ... I prefer the sound of the 500's though .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Ha! My KH250 ran on all 3. I had a problem that occasionally it would miss on the centre pot and oil the plug, eventually traced to a partially broken points to coil lead for that pot! Replaced the wire and all was well. Cure for the triples in the wet was good quality sealed ngk suppressor caps and a spray can of silicon grease! Dam it, I miss the banshee wail of that thing at 9000rpm!!! Almost as nice a sound as a V8. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Heheheh, yeah, the mucky brown coloured ones with a rubber seal on them .. worked a treat, but still needed water repellant stuff .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

isnt the AFM bypassed when on gas? I'm sure ours is. omvl on a 3.9 Discovery Richard

Reply to
Richard

A routemaster bus perchance ? or a scammel explorer. I suppose either of those would be a bit difficult to get on your average MOT stations ramp.

I am not too worried about my pride and joy getting through MOT. I expect I will eventually have to replace the middle pipe on the exhaust as it is held together with a piece of tin can, but I have been assured I need not worry about the emmissions too much if I get it done where I bought it from.

As for the holes, I will have to get working with the filler, like the previos owner just to make sure :) at the moment I am using tin cans again prior to sticking some more substantial aluminium bits inside the footwells to hold all together.

Reply to
Larry

This engine is far too new for me to be familiar with, is there any chance it has EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) fitted? Your symptoms ( you don't mention lpg but some of your replies do) of increase CO whilst decreasing HC are likely when the egr valve is feeding back too much gas.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

What are those big 8x8 things the army run around in, with the Rolls-Royce Eagle engines? I want one, whatever they are.

David

Reply to
David French

I'm not sure about a routemaster. It would probably depend on which class you have it in. It it's registered as a PCV then you'll have to go for a PCV MOT which is worse... If you have it listed as Private Goods, then It would be exempt. Certainly Scammel Explorer and Stalwart/Saracen are MOT exempt.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Oops, it's a Perkins Eagle - not nearly so much cachet :)

It's not the Foden 8x8 I'm thinking of, it looks bigger.

Reply to
David French

On or around Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:50:51 GMT, "Richard" enlightened us thusly:

not likely, unless you've 2 inlet tracts and a way of switching between 'em.

the AFM is physically present even if it's not in use.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

thats what i meant. not bypassed as in another inlet but bypassed as not used. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Problem solved

It was the left bank oxegen sensor (lamda) in the exhaust.

The LPG lamda sensor was incorrectly wired as well and had no 12v head to the heater, so the ECU only made adjustments when under really heavy load.

Running sweet now and less than 1% CO on both gas and petrol.

Once again many thanks to Mark Adams...... Managed to catch him at Mech Repairs in cheltenham and he solved the problem in about 5 mins. Why can't they take a blueprint of that mans brain, and implant it in all the ****witt YTS landrover mechanics at main dealers.

Thank you all for your advice.

Jack Spratt

Reply to
Jack

They are Scammels. All LHD and I think 8 x 6.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

Why do I feel the urge to get one?

One day I'll have a bad day and disappear up to Witham SV with a wodge of cash, and come back with something I don't even have a license to drive...

Reply to
David French

I know how you feel. At the end of last year I paid Witham a visit to check out how much 110 I'd get for my money if I went Ex-MOD. They have got sooooo much fun looking stuff there that it's dangerous to even look!!

Luckily at the time I was skint or I might have come back with a Haglund,one of the big Bedfords or something equally as daft.

Reply to
Simon Barr

I think we should have an a.f.l group meet there.

Reply to
David French

Yeah, that's an idea. I shall leave my wallet/credit cards at home, otherwise I will come back with something rediculous. I already have to resist going for classified ads in the back of my monthly copy of MMI.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around 1 Jul 2004 16:16:07 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

Big boys' toy emporium, that place...

Tank transporter sir? certainly sir, would you like it wrapped, or will you wear it now?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:45:50 GMT, "Richard" enlightened us thusly:

it's still prone to damage from backfires, though, which was the point. Flapper type ones in particular can be severely bent.

Reply to
Austin Shackles