MOT lights requirement

I'm in the process of removing all the crap the previous owner saw fit to accessorize my 72 Landi with, blue lights, spots, air horns, military PA (I kid you not), and am trying to find out just what is needed for the MOT, from my rather out of date Haynes MOT book I think the following is correct but would welcome some expert views, particularly on the last item which I think is just plain wrong in Haynes:

No need for hazards No need for side repeaters No need for rear fog light (though for safety I may well leave that one on) No need for reversing lights (Haynes makes no mention of them at all?) No need for trailer socket to function (Haynes makes no mention but surely you have to have the audible indication of turn indicators?) Must have number plate lights (but it's never had them and they are not shown on the S3 wiring diagram!)

Greg

Reply to
Greg

On or around Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:56:45 +0100, "Greg" enlightened us thusly:

If you assert that it's only used in daytime, you don't need headlights.

never actually tried to get one tested on that basis, but it's true.

the SIII does have a number plate light...

trailer sockets are not testable although you'll be open to a booking for non-functional trailer lights.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Never tested one on the computer but on the old style certs you just wrote "daytime use only"

also just to add if it has hazards fitted they must work but they don't need to be fitted before 1986 I think

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

My 73 Series 3 has:

No hazards, No side repeaters No rear fog No reversing light Non funtioning trailer socket (must get round to fixing it) No audible bleep for the indicators

It does have a rear number plate lamp I think that is all that is required.

Reply to
Larry

I don't think I'll try that one thanks 8-)

Later ones did, they are shown in the 1988 parts catalogue, but not in the

1973 catalogue that I can see or in the original wiring diagram which is here:
along with a load of other useful manuals that people might be interested in:
But Haynes says they are needed with no mention of older vehicles being exempt, I just need to know if I have to retrofit them.

Yes I'll get it working before I tow, I just wondered if they actually tested it at the MOT.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

|| If you assert that it's only used in daytime, you don't need || headlights. || || never actually tried to get one tested on that basis, but it's true.

Got an MoT on Tiggrr on that basis - advised that "vehicle should not be used in poor visibility or at night." No position lights, heads or no. plate light at all. Curiously, I had fitted high-level rear fogs as brake lights in case I ever took it comping, and the tester asked me to disable them before the test. All or nothing, apparently.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| I'm in the process of removing all the crap the previous owner saw || fit to accessorize my 72 Landi with, blue lights, spots, air horns, || military PA (I kid you not), and am trying to find out just what is || needed for the MOT, from my rather out of date Haynes MOT book I || think the following is correct but would welcome some expert views, || particularly on the last item which I think is just plain wrong in || Haynes: || || No need for hazards || No need for side repeaters || No need for rear fog light (though for safety I may well leave that || one on) No need for reversing lights (Haynes makes no mention of || them at all?) || No need for trailer socket to function (Haynes makes no mention but || surely you have to have the audible indication of turn indicators?) || Must have number plate lights (but it's never had them and they are || not shown on the S3 wiring diagram!) || || Greg

has the full tester's manual, although you need to persevere a bit with some stuff - it's not the easiest read. I've found it pretty useful over the years.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:19:05 +0100, "Greg" enlightened us thusly:

well, mine's 1971 and has one. could have been retrofitted, of course. The early SIII has the same rear lights as the SII with the white window in the bottom to let it be a number plate light as well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thats interesting my series was built in 73, it has two number plates on the rear and the right hand one has a light fitted which looks original to me. Mind you the number plate itself is held on by duct tape which presumably is not a failure point on the MOT :)

Reply to
Larry

Thanks for that Richard, a very useful link, it seems to say that plate lights are optional but if fitted must work. Greg

Reply to
Greg

|| "Richard Brookman" wrote || in message news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net... |||

has the full tester's manual,||| although you need to persevere a bit with some stuff - it's not the||| easiest read. I've found it pretty useful over the years.|| || Thanks for that Richard, a very useful link, it seems to say that || plate lights are optional but if fitted must work. || Greg

That would make sense, although I thought the plate lights were compulsory if you had position lights fitted.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Ahh, the penny's dropped, there is indeed a clear bit underneath the tail/brake light but I didn't spot it as it was so full of muck that no light could escape 8-). Later ones had a separate rectangular plastic light assembly just for the plate, it's shown in the 1988 parts list and a couple are going on EBay. Thanks everyone. Greg

Reply to
Greg

I would have expected that a light was as compulsory as a plate, not much point in the plate if noone can read it 8-), the wording is a bit odd:

"Registration plate lamps are the lamps that illuminate the rear registration plate. Some vehicles may have these lamps fitted behind the number plate."

The "some vehicles" bit could mean that some don't have them. or it could just possibly mean that some have them shining through a translucent plate but I've never heard of such a thing. Greg

Reply to
Greg

There were several types fitted to some of the posher vehicles of the mid-thirties onwards. A common one was made by Lucas, with numbers and letters (made by Ace Cornercroft or Bluemels) held in a frame behind glass, and illuminated by a 5W bulb at each end. Each character took the form of a translucent raised area on an opaque black background. Early number plate boxes had one "D" tail light and one reversing light, later ones had divided D lamps to give a tail lamp at each end of the plate. Others, like the Mk VI Bentley, had circular lights at each end.

IIRC some buses used rear-illuminated translucent number plates in the fifties.

If anyone happens to have any of the translucent numbers or letters, even just the odd one or two spare, I'd be delighted to hear from them.

Reply to
Autolycus

In message , Greg writes

You must have some audible or visual indication that the indicators either a) are working or b) are not working.

Reply to
hugh

As far as the turn indicators on the vehicle, yes that's very clear and not a problem as it has the two small lights on the instrument console.

But as far as the trailer is concerned I can't see how they can fail you for not having an indication of trailer light failure (i.e. the classic buzzer unit) when said buzzer only sounds IF there are lights plugged into a socket that is itself not testable?

There may well be something in the construction and use regs but the MOT testers manual on the web doesn't mention towing at all that I can find. I will fix the socket before towing, but it doesn't seem to be a priority for the MOT.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

In message , Greg writes

Two separate issues - Is it tested in the MOT? Does your vehicle comply with construction and use regulations?

Reply to
hugh

Yes that's how I understand the situation, the MOT tests a sub-set of the regulations. Right now my first concern is to tidy her up so she walks the MOT, fingers crossed 8-).

Greg

Reply to
Greg