mounting spare on roof rails (disco)

Hi

i'm busy trying to finish off preps for the big trip to morocco and need to mount a secound spare some where.

My thoughts are on the roof using the factory fitted roof rails with some cross braces added to spread the load.

so questions are:

  • how heavy is a wheel and tyre? much differance with steel/alloy?
  • whats the max load the roof bars will support?
  • is there something out there already i can buy to do this?

I've many roof boxes mounted on the rails so i should think there would be a weight issue.

Ta Mark

Reply to
Jinx