Mud + ABS on 2008 Defender

Wotcher c**ks, long time no visit here, I'm surprised it's still got a few people kicking about.

Anyway, as per title, I've seen countless posts on similar-ish topics on va rious websites but not really any clarity based on experience. So I'll ask this;

Has anyone tried driving down a muddy hill in a fairly late-model Defender with ABS? When in low range on tickover, does the ABS still function or do es it get disabled? I'd prefer it to be off under those circumstances.

I won't be off-roading mine for a while yet and I know about pulling fuses etc but I'd wondered if Landrover had done any tricks with gear selection i ntelligence like they do with the idle speed of the engine.

Also while I'm typing, does anyone have any manuals that detail how the Tra ction Control and ABS work from an end-user perspective, it's much easier t o figure out how to use a thing if you know what it's supposed to do when g iven certain inputs. I've read about quite high revs on the TC but I'd pre fer some kind of official or semi-official text setting it all out rather t han trying to make sense of the usual contradictory arguing from out there on 't internet!

Cheers,

Ian Rawlings

Reply to
ianr

In message , snipped-for-privacy@tarcus.org.uk writes

I have a 2010 but I've not got it muddy yet. ABS only works if you touch the brakes. Why would you want it disabled in these circumstances? I've seen nothing to suggest that it would be.

Someone in here a while ago said TC only operates on a per axle basis but if you got centre diff lock in that would be how you would want it is it not? Didn't really understand what he was on about.

BTW how's your clutch? Had a big problem with mine and met a chap who had had 2 changed under warranty.

Reply to
bert

On low-grip loose surfaces like mud it can be better to switch ABS off so t he wheels skid, building up a wedge in front of the wheel and cutting furth er into the surface. ABS on extremely slippy surfaces near-enough removes braking, I'd rather keep control under such circumstances particularly loos e surfaces.

No faults at all on mine in the years I've had it other than a noisy EGR va lve cleaning cycle, despite driving it at near-enough top speed for long di stances regularly. I do high miles in it. I'm one of those people who get s massive mileages out of clutches though so maybe I'm avoiding any problem s.

Anyway, does no-one have any LR-specific ABS knowledge around here? I'm go ing to try and hunt down the workshop manuals to see if they can help. I'd like to know how it works specifically in the LR installation on my truck and what tricks they've done if any, also I'd like similar for the traction control.

Thanks

Ian Rawlings

Reply to
ianr

An interesting approach, one I haven't come across before.

I'd be interested in what you find. You could I suppose always fit an in-line switch rather than pull the fuse to disable ABS. Not sure how non-legal that might be.

Reply to
bert