My Dad's Disco

He really likes Country but there you go, no accounting for taste.

My dad got himself a 1995 300TDi Discovery (I think that's the model anyway!

2.5 diesel turbo'd) Bought in haste repent... etc. Bought a year ago, paid £6500, he thought it was a bargain, until the bills started coming in!

He now doesn't want it. He has given it to me to fix some faults before he disposes of it. (thanks, by the way, for the info on the non working rear electric windows that I have just googled for, particularly Mr. Shackles for re-disco-vering (hahaa..err) it and reposting it!!).

The problem that I have come to you fine fellows to resolve is.... how much is it worth (ah... the 64 quid question!).

It is 1995 N- reg 85,000 miles. 5 seats, electric windows (when they work) and mirrors but nothing else special at all, that I know of. No sunroofs, oh, it's silver and has a towbar. I would say the condition is "used". Certainly not a "working" vehicle such as a farm vehicle but certainly not pampered. Exterior not too bad, no rust a few small dents, interior not broken but quite grubby. Could do with a really good clean (I wonder who's going to be doing that!!). It does get a little more excercise than the "school run", he does live out in the sticks up a long steep windy narrow lane and he does do a bit of forestry now and then but he is 76 and should really stop showing me up for being an unfit lazy bugger by now.

I have driven it and... yes, well... you've got to be a fan really haven't you. The steering is a little vague, but I have got used to that now and there is the occasional clunk (gearbox splines ?? :-( ) but apart from that it seems to go well.

I'm thinking, if it were a car of similar age, the £4000 I'm thinking is, well, OTT but what do I know. He wants 6 grand. Hmmmmm. I've looked at some prices but the conditions, specifications and prices vary so much it's difficult to see that they're all selling the same car!

I know it's a difficult question but your guidance would be appreciated. He lives in rural Herefordshire, by the way.

Thanks for any feedback at all and keep on ...er..landrovering???

:-) Graham

Reply to
Graham

Hi Graham,

Mmmm where in Herefordshire? I was in Hereford centre for five years.

The 6k is way over the top. I would think you are looking at somewhere around the 3 to 4k mark. Maybe down at the 3k mark. The vehicle is getting towards the time when it might need a new gearbox, the disco averages about

80k miles on the gearboxes, although, if it has the splash plate fitted then it might have a bit more. However, the clunk could be a poorly gearbox.

I would wait until September to sell it as people do tend to want to but a Disco before the winter sets in. You may get less at this time of year.

All this governement negativity about 4X4 is not helping and i think will depress prices.

Andrew Renshaw

Sounds about right to me. Disco prices have dropped quite a bit in the last

9 months (since I sold mine, fortunately). Personally I think £3K may be a bit pessimistic, I'd look at about 4 and maybe a tad more, but that sort of ballpark.

David

Reply to
David French

Well that's nice, don't beat about the bush will you, don't let me down gently or try not to hurt my feelings.

:-)

Ok, I'll try and break it to him gently,

"Hey dad, you know that big lump of metal you paid a small fortune for, on that ridiculously high interest rate loan......."

Thanks chaps, your time is much appreciated. Graham ps He lives near Hay on Wye.

Reply to
Graham