My defender is dead long live the Disco

Hi all.

Well I am back from travelling though Africa some 6 weeks early due to needing to get back to the UK due to a bad car accident in my Defender in Senegal. The Defender is gone (110 CSW expedition prepared) but it saved our lives. The whole of the front is gone and the dashboard is touching the front seat. The spare wheel came through the windscreen, never again will I put a spare wheel on the bonnet.

I have to be honest and say that I thought that I was finished when the accident happened on the 30th of January (we hit the back of a broken down lorry at 30 miles per hour at night, lorry was broken down after a bend and had no illumination or warning sign, hitting a lorry is not recommmened). Sarah (7) was trapped in the middle seat by the dashboard but I was able by moving the gearstick to get her out and all she has is a couple of grazes from the glass. Rachael (daughter) has a seat belt bruise and Jan (wifey)some cuts. I think the trauma for all of us will take longer to heal.

The steering wheel had crushed my legs and pelvis and I was stuck in the car. The Gendarmerie and the British embassy thought I was going to die (they admitted in a smaller car we would have gone under the lorry). Incredibly people appeared from nowhere on the remote road and after 15 minutes managed by brute force to push the dashboard back slightly and I was able to release my right leg. However, it took a further thirty minutes before my left leg was released which took the brunt of the impact from the steering wheel. I was also aware that I had damaged my bladder.

When I finally got out I ran about trying to organize our stuff and get the Police and Ambulance and then suddenly collapsed. I am sure I was running on adrenalin. Anyway then began a car drive to Dakar some 25 miles away that was unpleasant. I got to the hospital and there was only a nurse on duty. Took some x-rays and sent me to a hotel. With an appointment to see a surgeon the next day. The British Embassy were fabulous When I went the next day (Tuesday I think 31st) I was told I was too badly injured to be walking about and was admitted straight away. I argued constantly about clean needles. It too me nealry three weeks to get permission to fly.

For me, my left leg at the moment is still poorly and I am told will take six weeks to heal. The top of the thigh is the worst. I can just about get around on crutches. Also bruising to my bladder is fairly painful. Right leg has some damage but is okay.

When you have looked death in the face it changes things forever.

So today we went out and bought a Japanese import Discovery, it's a 300tdi with all the bells and whistles. It has done 60k miles and is an automatic. Not a Defender but more suited to motorway driving in the UK and is a lot comfier while my leg is healing.

If I ever go to Africa again driving I will get another Defender. Driving In Morocco, Mauritania and Senegal was fabulous, just stupidly I drove at night.

Yours

Andy

P Reg 300TDI Discovery

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Andrew Renshaw uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Andy,

What can I say! Just glad your all alive and on the mend! When you get chance you'll have to tell us about some of the good bits. I'm sure it's a trip of a lifetime, just very sad your trip was cut short in these circumstances.

I broke down in the South of France on the border with Spain with the Caravan... pales in to insignificance compared to your experience. But despite being 1000 miles plus from home the people who helped were again fantastic. When we eventually got to our Caravan site the campers flocked to help on seeing the caravan being unhooked from the trailer, felt like the Royal family with people scurrying around to do anything they could to help. It's moments like these that restore my faith in human nature.

I'm sure you will find the Disco a good steed, The defender served you well none the less.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Andy Hi,

sorry to hear about your accident and painful experience. I hope and wish that this whole traumatic experience (physical and psychological) becames a thing of the past and well forgoten very soon.

Having had a near death experience myself in the past I can attest that such incidents do have a huge impact on how you address to life and its everyday problem from then on.

Your Defender did its best and I am sure you will also be happy with your Discovery which is a far more easy car to live with and drive everyday.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

At least you all suvived mate! There should be no compromise as to the safety of your chosen vehicle. I hope your new one has at least got airbags fitted. You will find the Disco just as capable of travelling long distances in remote places and should be more comfortable as well. Just my personal opinion but with a gammy leg an automatic transmission is so much easier to use. No spare on the bonnet and no loose tool kits or heavy objects in the back. Strap everything heavy in the back down well with particular attention to them moving forward and upwards.

Huw

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Best wishes to you and your family, glad you are all home in one piece, and hope you heal quickly.

Reply to
Dave P

On or around Mon, 20 Feb 2006 23:39:55 GMT, "Andrew Renshaw" enlightened us thusly:

Glad it wasn't worse, you seem to have got off relatively lightly - OK, the vehicle's a write-off, but you can always buy new things, you can't buy new legs or new lives.

GWS and hope you get to do the Africa thing (in the daytime) again.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sounds like you where very lucky Andrew. Not a pleasant thing to happen to anyone.

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob) FOR SALE!!! Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

'"I don't remember asking you a goddam thing"

Reply to
Nige

Hey All,

Thanks for all your messages - you are great. I went to see the Doctor today and I am signed off work for 4 weeks and an expectation it will be another 4 weeks after that. Two months - a long time.

The Disco we have bought has ABS and twin airbags which should make it a lot better for safety.. I find driving an automatic very smooth and nice. I also like all the luxuries after my Defender. I did try today to convince wifey that we need a second car which should be a 90. Mmm not sure I won.

Yours

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw