My new Green friends!

On or around Fri, 5 May 2006 18:28:24 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

quite an enclave down there in Pembs...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In the UK I can't think of any others, Dinorwig is one of the most powerful systems in the world, and I think the only one designed to be powerful enough to reboot the entire national grid. It is also the fastest switchover of any plant, and can go from standby to full generation 1.8 GIGAwatts - in 12 seconds, and from full pumping to full generation in 90 seconds. It can sustain full output for 5 hours AFAIR.

When I worked in Connecticut when I was a student,there was a power station there with pumped storage characteristics, built in the 1920's I think in town called New Milford, using a lakes called Candlewood.

There aren't many because of the problems of needing two bloody big lakes.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Scotland: Ben Cruachan 400MW Foyers 300MW

Reply to
Dougal

It's far more efficient in terms of generating, storing and distributing the DC electricity to use a voltage significantly above 12V. The average DC-DC converter to reduce that voltage to something useable (12 or 24V) is rather more efficient that the voltage drop running 12V over any distance unless you use stupidly large cables.

Reply to
EMB

|| On or around Fri, 5 May 2006 18:28:24 +0100, "Richard Brookman" || enlightened us thusly: || ||| Dave R wrote: ||| ||||| I've had an idea though, I've got some leave coming to me so I am ||||| going to join the "Pembrokeshire Friends of the Earth" without ||||| letting them see the Range Rover, wear a hemp cardigan and some ||||| sandals and see what they have to say for themselves. ||||| ||||| I'm going deep undercover ||| ||| Let me know when and where. This I _gotta_ see. ||| ||| (Martyn, got any spare web space where I can post the results?) || || quite an enclave down there in Pembs...

Dave, myself and Marko (I think) lives here when he's not at Uni. Other than three such as we, you're the nearest, I think. Not much of an enclave...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

For more on Dinorwic/Dinorwig, see this posting:

Oddly enough, whilst reading a New Scientist article _Is it all over for nuclear power_[1] this morning whilst sitting on the loo, I was wondering why someone doesn't do something with the Blackwater reservoir[2] and pipes left over from the aluminium smelter at Kinlochleven[3]. Transmission losses in power lines presumably have something to do with it.

[1]
[2]
[3]
Ob-Landrover It's amazing how many people and dogs you can cram into the back of a 109 when you are staying in Kinlochleven and need a pint of decent beer, the nearest to be found being at the Clachaig Inn[4] in the next valley. [4]
Alan J. Wylie

On Sat, 06 May 2006 11:00:26 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@wylie.me.uk (Alan J. Wylie) wrote: I was

I haven't looked at your links. The penstock, leat and reservoir still provide power but the DC generators used for smelting have been replaced with AC ones feeding the grid.

Despite some public statements refuting this it still looks like the attraction of renewable energy certificates made the electricity from this worth more to sell than use to make aluminium.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Are you going to come too then? I reckon your superior grasp of the English language could be of use.

I have a suspicion the they are all middle aged well to do housewifes. And probably a couple of token male members who are pretending to be interested in green issues just to get in the pants of middle aged well to do housewifes.

Damn - rumbled

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

|| Are you going to come too then? I reckon your superior grasp of the || English language could be of use.

We'd have to disguise it well. The best approach would be a few fake tattoos and curse a lot, but appear baffled but interested. Then they would be so delighted to have a genuine member of the "working clarss" that they would welcome you with open arms. I say, Tarquin, even this chappie off the council estate is interested in green issues. We must organise some wholemeal Special Brew and some herbal Woodbines.

|| I have a suspicion the they are all middle aged well to do || housewifes.

From the opening hours you mentioned, that would be my suspicion. Or benefit-scrounging layabouts who are free between 10 and 12 because they don't do a job of work, relying on you and me instead.

|| And probably a couple of token male members who are || pretending to be interested in green issues just to get in the pants || of middle aged well to do housewifes.

LOL. If they are nice women just dabbling in FOE because they are bored, maybe. If they are truly "green", though, they will not believe in washing (waste of water), cutting toe and fingernails (long nails look ethnic), cleaning teeth (the chemicals in toothpaste my dear!) or wiping their bottoms (wasting paper that could be recycled).

I could live without that. I saw some coming out of Morrison's the other day and I know.

|| Damn - rumbled

Anything's worth a shot.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

In message , Srtgray writes

You could ... and while you're there look at the two (or three?) sizeable fuel oil tanks they have 'hidden' on site to drive their generators and heating. I don't recall them mentioning that in their 'how sustainable we are' blurb ...

I lost faith in wind turbines as an environmentally economic alternative when those on Scratby Sands off Yarmouth were turned on. Lots of wildlife was disturbed putting them in, enormous quantities of power and natural resources were used building them and they were generating (wait for it!) 4KW each! ... not even enough to recoup their own 'green cost' during their lifetimes let alone produce sustainable green fuel!

Reply to
AJG

On or around Sat, 06 May 2006 09:48:55 +0100, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

yeah, impressive bit of kit. apparently, in this crazy world we have now, the ability to be on-stream quickly means you get a much better price for the power.

I still reckon that a tour of Dinorwig woiuld be good at an Anglesea unofficial.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Sun, 07 May 2006 13:13:48 +0100, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

I would love to see that place in the flesh. Saw it on TV a few times...

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On Sun, 7 May 2006 14:30:34 +0100, "Nige" scribbled the following nonsense:

yeah, plus fred visited it as well.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

In article , Simon Isaacs writes

It has clouds in the top of the generator hall...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Simon Isaacs uttered summat worrerz funny about:

:-(

No 'ickle people allowed due to having to wear hard hats... Thats us out of that particular tour then

:-(

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sun, 7 May 2006 23:36:42 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

haven't they got small hard hats?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

My two have.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

It was this bit... "First Hydro safety procedures require that all visitors wear Safety Helmets on the underground tour. These helmets are not suitable for use by babies and very young children." Just needs clarification as to very young, is it up to around 2, 5, 7, or 10. I know where they are comming from and don't think they would be allowed in with Bob the builder hats. I know that laddo would love to see the place... and me too. Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Mon, 8 May 2006 13:04:07 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

I'll ask when the woman in the office gets back to work, if you want - I want to know what "minimum numbers" means...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Yes please do, one 5 and one 7... I note further down the page they charge admin diffent to Kids so they must have some sort of threshold. I'm wondering if they mean toddlers but it's not clear. Fingers crossed.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D