Name for the bit that supports the outer bearing race while a drift is used?

This enquiry is from a friend of mine:

what do they call the implement that you'd use to protect a bearing whilst it is being pressed into a housing ? I'm thinking along the lines similar to a drift that you'd use to knock a bearing in, but I'd be using a hydraulic press to push the bearing in and so I want something fit for the job that'll go in between the press and the outer race of the bearing.

I'd use a suitably sized socket.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Bearing race support? ;)

Ditto with the socket, I try to use impact sockets as they are much more resilient than 'normal' sockets and seem to have better tolerances on outer diameters.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

As a plant Mechanic here in the land of Oz you call the outer bit of a bearing - outer race and as an apprentice they called the bit you are discribing as a dolly.. A term that has fallen into dis-use..

I'd us a suitably sized socket also.. Even if I was going to knock it in with a hammer..

Pannawonica ..

Reply to
Pannawonica

Thanks Both

Yep, I'd told my friend to use a hardened socket!

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

impact sockets are normaly softer than normal sockets so they don't shatter when in use they have thicker walls to carry the load and would be ideal for driving in a bearing

Reply to
mike hunt

Thanks Both

Yep, I'd told my friend to use a hardened socket!

Cheers

Richard

One thing people do is use a brass drift..this is not a good thing to do..

1) the thought behind it is that brass is a 'soft' metal and won't damage the bearing.. 2) the problem is that because brass is a 'soft' metal it work hardens and flakes.. those flakes can end-up in the bearing and can cause the balls or rollers not turn or if they manage to get between the bearing surface create a pressure point and damage the bearing.. 3) Using a hardend steel dolly can also damage the bearing.. 4) So using a mild steel dolly is preferable.. 5) When you use a socket best to use a non-chrome type because the chrome can flake also.. 6) I never take my own advice :>)

Pannawonica ..

Reply to
Pannawonica

Thanks Pannawonica