Need a trailer

Iv'e seen adverts for 'sankey' trailers at decent cost (£150-£200 etc) They look very solid to me & look to be able to take a whole load of crap! My towbar has a ball & socket thingy, it does however, have a drop down pin/bolt type fitting too. Is this compatible with what, i presume to be a NATO type hitch? I reckon the side pin thingy might grab it?

Am I talking out me heed?

Ta

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Youd need to rip off the old tow bar, and fit one of these bastards.

A Nato Hitch.

Mark Solesbury

Jesus, that is one big bracket! Will it fit on my backplate & what about electrics etc?

Nige

Reply to
Nige

A nato hitch will fit on a standard drop plate, don't try and tow on a normal pin and jaw. You must fit the locking pin in the catch of the hitch or it could get embarassing.

Trailers come with 12pin Nato plug. Either cut it off and put 7 pin on or better still make an adaptor with a spare socket off ebay, wiring as below. At that price it will be the older narrow track Sankey with no tailgate, make sure the tub isn't rusty. Very easy to put a tailgate in with a plasma cutter, inch box section, LR tailgate hinges and antiluce catches.

NATO PLUG:

A, H: SPARE B: Left hand stop C: Convoy D and L: Earth E: tail and number plate light F: Fog lamps J: right hand stop light K: Aux positive M: Left hand indicator N: right hand indicator

And to convert it to a seven pin:

Yellow 1 to M Left hand indicator Blue 2 to F fog lights White 3 to D Earth Green 4 to N right hand indicator Brown 5 to E tail and number plate light Red 6 to B and J Left hand stop right hand stop light Black 7 to E tail and number plate light

Sean

73FL74 101GS 1984 110 2.5NA Medway Military Vehicle Group
sean101ryan

Correct me if i'm wrong, but won't a Nato ring fit in one of these:

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Thats what i have matey!

Reply to
Nige

HAve you seen the tool trailer variant ? Withams-SV have a load for tender ATM. My beloved famcies a SAnkey tool trailer, god knows what for.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Just fancy one really, I'm sure it would be useful. If nothing else we could put the boys in it when they are being so loud that the V8 no longer drowns their noise out.;-)

Lizzy

Reply to
LizzyTaylor

On or around Wed, 9 Nov 2005 23:04:50 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

no, it won't. The NATO is a much bigger ring.

to get the hitch height correct on an RR or disco, you need to have the NATO hitch mounted at about bumper height.

basically, you're better off with a civvy trailer, and cheap Sankeys are likely to have issues anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have been using and abusing a Sankey "Wide Track" (same width as D90) for many years. If you need good ground clearance and a tolerance to gross overloading (increase tyre pressure from 30 psi to 35+ psi), then they are the mutts nuts. Make sure you get one with a tailgate and put a jockey wheel on the front leg for convenience. You will need the NATO hitch - they are designed to let the trailer roll over without trying to turn the Landy. I have 2 "saddles" on my Dixon Bate adjustable tow bracket. The top one (cross member height) has the NATO hitch and the lower one has a conventional ball / jaw attachment. Some other trailers (Ifor Williams, for example) are very good - but they will not take the off road abuse that a Sankey will cope with.

Just my 2p

Joskin

Reply to
Joskin

Good point, well put. Anyone got a Sankey sized trailer for sale?

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

On or around Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:54:22 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

what sort of size, what sort of money?

I could build you one...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sankey sized, sankey money!

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

Do you two talk to each other, or leave notes for each other on newsgroups?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Wish I could convince my wife to just leave messages on newsgroups!

Reply to
EMB

I convinced my wife just to leave.......

Reply to
Brian

My collection of Solihull's finest is rapidly convincing mine to do the same.

Reply to
EMB

We do talk, but on this I occasion felt the urge to share my insane thoughts with like minded friends....

Lizzy

Reply to
steve

Arrrgh.... it gets worse and even more confusing - now Lizzy is posting under Steve's name. ;-)

Reply to
EMB

...I obviously have a split personality too. :-p

Lizzy

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor