New clutch slave cylinder

Replaced the slave cylinder last night on my S3. After bleeding I needed to pump the clutch a few times (10ish) before I was getting the kind of resistance that I was expecting. In the morning the clutch pedal was soft again. A few vigorous pumps and everything fine.

It doesn't seem to be losing any fluid - does this suggest the slave cylinder (Britpart) is faulty?

Peter

Reply to
Peter

It suggests to me that you haven't bled the system completely. Martin

Reply to
Oily

Having just replaced both master and slave cylinders on my SIII I would do the following:

Check that it really isn't loosing fluid into the clutch housing, i.e. the reservoir level isn't going down.

Check the nuts on the master cylinder, these need adjusting so that when the pedal is up there is 1/16" of gap between the actuating rod and piston so the valve in the cylinder opens.

Bleed it again.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

"Greg" wrote.........

He's already said "It doesn't seem to be losing (not loosing) any fluid" :-)

As you say.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I thought mine wasn't leaking until I found it was completely empty after a few weeks lay up, it was all in the bell housing. Greg

Reply to
Greg

On or around Wed, 1 Aug 2007 11:55:55 +0100, "Peter" enlightened us thusly:

they can be a bugger to bleed. and as others have said, check the master cylinder. worth replacing that if there's any doubt as one of the failure modes is that the piston gets a bit stiff and fails to return fully "home", thereby failing to operate the valve just the same as if the pushrod for it is adjusted wrong.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Take out the deep wading bung also.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Thanks everyone.

Adjustment of the master cylinder (which I'd replaced a few months ago) seems to have been the culprit. All better now.

Peter

Reply to
Peter