New Disco III

Went to one of the many launch's of the Disco III Thursday night down at Gatwick Landover in Crawley, West Sussex, not a very good turnout I thought, sales persons were a little embarrassed about the fact that both passengers front door handles were falling off on both models they had in the showroom also a lot of negative comments about the split rear tailgate.

As for carrying seven six foot two inch adults in comfort I would dispute that claim, mind you I was very impressed with the V6 diesel engine, goes very,very well and is very quiet, what about all those electrics, I think it will pay to sit back and wait till the gremlins are ironed out, what do you think ????

What a fantastic engine and gearbox to put in a Defender, at least you can hear yourself think unlike the TD5.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Sargeant

That's one of the features that might well sell it to me - eventually. The numerous advantages of the split tailgate on the RR and, for me, no disadvantages has so far kept me away from the Discovery.

Reply to
Dougal

` You obviously don't have to load stuff in and out of the back of your car. Imagine having to lift every load over and past the tailgate into the load bay !

Peter R.

Reply to
Peter R.

We have had Range Rovers in the past and now have a Discovery. I actually prefer the split tailgate to a door even tho we use the rear seats in the Disco. Just a pity I cant afford a new Range Rover

Reply to
Richard

But the tail gate in the Rangie is the same height as the floor... and if thats still a problem then it's very quickly resolved with a sliding false floor having tracks on the floor and also on the tailgate assuming you'd use it that much.

I've both the Rangie and Disco (amoungst others) and both have there advantages however for a keen DIY'er its the Rangie that gets most use from it's rear end.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

As someone who actually uses his 4x4 off road I'm not looking forward to crawling about in a muddy and rocky field to get at the spare every time I get a puncture or a damaged wheel. I mentioned this to the LandRover rep at the Birmingham motor show - his reply - call LandRover Assistance to do it for you !!! Obviously he'd been drafted in from a different planet just for the show.

The new Disco is apparently going to be built in a brand new factory with a brand new production line - and probably a lot of brand new manufacturing problems .. The last brand new Disco I bought (T reg) spent 32 days of it's first six months back with the dealer being fixed so I'm going to wait and see.

I'm also a bit unsure about this twiddle the knob and let the vehicle choose the height and traction settings. I would much rather choose my own height and traction setting independantly of each other.

It also appears that you can't get a petrol version with a manual gearbox . The diesel might be bigger than that in the Td5 but the vehicle is heavier,so I assume it's going to be sluggish - although I haven't had my test drive yet so I may be wrong on that. . I think it's been designed primarily for the US market and the UK buyers have to like it or lump it.

Reply to
Ian

Of course you could just put a spare in the boot when you go off-roading. How frequently have you changed the wheel on your current Disco? I've done one tyre in 5 years, and that was on the Volvo.

Yes, brand new line in a brand new building. State of the art technology, but all rather too 'new' for me to want to buy one. But that isn't a Land Rover thing - I wouldn't buy the first year of any vehicle.

Is there no manual override? That seems like a bad plan, like cameras that only have a 'Full Program' mode.

There's no reason to expect it to be sluggish. The engine has had good reviews in the Jaguar S-Type and and it offers about 30% more power than the old engine. I don't think the new car is 30% heavier...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I tried one yesterday, a diesel automatic.. I had previously only seen pictures of the Discovery 3 (as the brochure calls it) and thought it looked bulky and a bit ugly. Well, I found it blends in so well that when I got to the dealers I didn't immediately notice it standing in a group of Series IIs. On examination it does look very different to the Series II but it is still clearly a Discovery and nothing like as bulky-looking as the latest Range Rover. As for being a bit ugly, I don't think so, in fact I like its looks.

My Discovery II Td5 is great to drive but this one struck me as being superb. I covered about 20 miles, through town, along country roads and a fast dual carriageway and immediately felt completely at ease and experienced none of the trepidation I sometimes feel when driving a strange vehicle for the first time. Great ride and handling, a sweet, quiet, responsive engine and a very smooth 6-speed automatic box. . As to the question of to what extent the greater output of the new engine is counteracted by the vehicle's increased weight, it certainly felt lively although I didn't notice the dramatic improvement suggested by the brochure figures of 0-60mph in 11 seconds, compared with the Td5 brochure's 15.8 seconds.

My wife and I frequently stack our Td5's loadspace with heavy items, so the matter of loading over a split tailgate concerns us. We used to manage well enough with a Range Rover Classic but that was years ago. The salesman's response was that the lower flap is cut away on one side to make loading easier, but it would seem to make more sense for the flap to be short all the way across, with a straight-line joint between the lower and upper sections. I tend to think it is just a designer's attempt to show a family resemblance with the odd-shaped tailgate window of the previous models.. A sliding loadspace floor is offered as an accessory but I assume this would prevent the third-row seats from being used and, with an increasing number of grandchildren, we do need these seats to be readily available.

The salesman demonstrated how all the second and third-row seats can be individually folded flat into the floor. Very neat (although the mechanism seemed to be a bit stiff) and a vast space can be created but, thinking about it since, I wonder whether comfort, particularly in he second-row where it matters most, has been compromised by making the seat bases and backs thin enough to fold away flat.

A thought has also occurred to me about the spare wheel - is it properly secured against theft or will it suffer the fate of underfloor mounted spares on many of today's cars?

Two big questions remain for me. First, have Ford done what BMW failed to do completely, and managed to enforce rigid quality control at LR? And secondly, where can I get the money from? The SE model I drove is priced at UK pounds 36,995 plus 1,495 for the auto box and 495 for metallic paint. Takes a bit of thinking about, particularly as it seems that discounts will be hard to get, for a while at least.

Reply to
nospam

I agree.

Drove the V6 HSE and a Manual SE V6. Both were stunning cars.

If I had the cash I would have bought one on the spot.

Reply to
marc