New Disco in '03, '04 or '05?

I have a 2000 LR Disco II that I am considering trading on a new Disco. = I especially like the additional power with the 4.6L engine and also the quieter ride and tighter steering that I noted when test driving a 2003 = SE. Although I currently have ACE, the salesman advised against it for the = new truck because "rear suspension improvements" have reduced the need for = ACE. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm told that ACE is not available in the 2004 models which should be available shortly. I understand that the only other differences between the 2003s and 2004s are minor cosmetics. The fact that ACE is no longer available is actually an incentive for me to trade and offload a = potential headache (there have been 2-3 recalls on it).

And then there's word that the 2005 model will be a major redesign of the Disco.

Our current 2000 Disco II is in excellent condition with 44K miles, but about due for new tires. We don't off-road but frequently trailer a 4000 lb boat/trailer load. The extra torque and hp of the 2003 would be = welcome but not essential.

We're comfortably retired but not wealthy. Trading at this time would = mean some simpler, more economical vacations for awhile. What would you do if you were me? Do nothing, go for the 2003 truck, or wait for the 2004 or

2005?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

LB

Reply to
<lorendi

Loren Hi,

I would also opt for a 2003 and then wait three years and buy the newer version when all the new model's infancy problems will be ironed out.

The brand new Discovery (not the series 2) will most surely be equipped with Dana axles since LR after been bought by Ford has signed an agreement with them so that they become their suppliers of axles and their components. Dana axles are far sturdier than the LR made ones so I do not expect that they will be having the problems those had in the past.

In any case the LR axles currently used by your (and previous model years) Discos do not like a few things.

  1. To sit idle for a long time (seals get dry)
  2. Extended contact or submerging into water. The colder the water and the longer the duration of submerging them the more obvious the problems will be after water finds its way inside the axle and mixes with the oil.
  3. Blocked breathers (this happens on vehicles used extensively for off roading or deep water wading even when fitted with remote breathers)
  4. Extensive use of fully locking differentials with maximum torque applied (again this applies on off roading vehicles)
  5. Bad quality of gear oil or omission to change them at the proper intervals.
  6. Extended and excessive high speed journeys, especially during very hot weather.

Take care Pantelis

Sounds like good advice. We're going to explore a deal on a 2003.

By the way, in addition to ACE becoming unavailable on the 2004s, I understand the 2004s will also have locking differential as standard. They're supposed to be on hand in another week or so.

Thanks,

Loren

Margaret & Loren Block Georgetown, TX C22 #14903 "Perfect Harmony"

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Why will the new Discovery need Dana axles when it is going to have independent suspension all round like the new RR?

Reply to
Exit

Thanks for the insight. That's more incentive for us to trade now. Our Landy does see a lot of hot highway time here in Central Texas. I = realize that such use is not the main intended use of the vehicle but I enjoy it anyway. My wife prefers our quieter, smoother-riding, small sedan but = that car gives me a backache!

Cheers,

Loren

Margaret & Loren Block Georgetown, TX C22 #14903 "Perfect Harmony"

Reply to
<lorendi

You've touched on an interesting point there! So many people think that the Discovery (and similar vehicles) are like tanks to drive - how wrong could they be? My own father held this opinion until recently, after we went for a day's driving in my new vehicle instead of his Primera. Us being the birdwatching, photography, exploring type of family........

Reply to
Llandrovers!

Hmmm, I don't know. As confessed earlier, I'm not mechanically inclined but Pantelis' point about a lot of high speed travel aggravating maintenance makes sense to me. With AWD there are more moving parts and more seals. We knew this when we purchased the vehicle but wanted a 4X4 advantage for extracting our sailboat from the water. (Previously with a= 2 wheel drive vehicle, I had to stand at the bow while my wife very slowly drove up the ramp.)

We may be keeping our Disco for a while longer. We're asking 20% more = than the dealer is offering for trade-in. We'll see.

Thanks for your input!