New Drums on 90....

Hi all - hope someone can help me...

Just overhauled both sides of the rear axle on my 1988 90' (new hub seals) and the brakes (new cylinders,drums & and shoes).

Problem is that when I fit the new drums - purchased from Paddocks -

(not Brit part on the box) - and tighten up the wheel nuts after fitting the wheel (Steel Modular), the wheels will not turn. It's as if the drum is being compressed onto the shoes or something.

Ive had to put the original ones back on. All works fine with these on.

Any ideas anyone? Have I purchase the wrong drums... there only seems to be one listed though...

cheers Gavin

Reply to
GS

In message , GS writes

You have slackened off the adjuster on each side ????

Reply to
Marc Draper

Hi Marc,

Yes, should of added that both adjusters are right back and working fine.

Could it be that because the shoes are new they need to bed in a little - then I'll be able to fit the new drums? The drums aren't genuine parts so perhaps the tolerances are slightly out??

cheers Gavin

Reply to
GS

On or around 27 Jan 2007 10:33:25 -0800, "GS" enlightened us thusly:

shoudl still fit. You are *sure* the adjusters are backed off, and moreover that the shoes are returnign fully?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The fact that the problem occurs when the wheel nuts are tightened suggests some sort of tightness axially rather than radially.

Do the linings overhang the metal brake shoe? Probably not relevant in something this recent(I don't know this model) but is there an adjustable shoe steady pin on the backplate.

Slacken things off so that the drum will rotate. Rotate several times. Dismantle and check for rubbing (witness marks) on the outer corner of the lining where it would contact the inside corner of the drum.

Compare the outside of the old and new drums. Are they identical? Consider the possibility that the new drum is contacting bolt heads or something on the wheel rim and that contact is distorting the drum when the wheel nuts are tightened. You might get a clue by placing a new drum inside the wheel and seeing if anything could touch.

Reply to
Dougal

wheel nuts are tightened

text -- Show quoted text -

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

I'm sure the adjusters are right back - I spent about a hour checking them and the shoes were where they should be.

Weather permitting I'll get out there tomorrow and have another look.

cheers Gavin

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

I'm sure the shoes are return

Reply to