New-ish brakes leaking, cylinder failure? - Series 3

It looks like one of my recently replaced brake cylinders (full set + pads installled

Reply to
ChelseaTractor

no way it could be the ep90 leaking out past the cv seal? I was playing with a Rangie last month and it was dribbling out nicely (and contaminating the disc arggh ) Derek

Reply to
Derek

Could be. All I can see is that the back part of the drum assembly is wet with fluid at and around the bleed nipple and mounting bolts of the lower cylinder. Is that easier to fix?

Reply to
ChelseaTractor

you can smell it, brake fluid smells not like oil

"ChelseaTractor" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Fred Huge

Yeah, EP 90 smells a bit like cats pee. Could it be just a loose nipple? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Oh, I forgot: also, the fluid reservoir is almost at the Minimum line... :-(

Reply to
ChelseaTractor

Have you checked it's not the bleed nipple or hose that have come loose? If it's leaking on a new wheel cylinder after 1000 miles then it sounds like you've either got a dodgy cylinder, or you've bought (had fitted) cheap pattern parts, which i find have a failure rate of about 25%. (Which is why i buy genuine brake parts, not pattern)

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Thats a good giveaway about what it could be!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Alex was right - cheap parts. Trying not to remember how much I paid the muppet to fit them. He also put the shoes on wrong.

Reply to
ChelseaTractor