New MOT rules Today

Much stricter MOT rules come into force today

Is it just a coincidence that an ad for a Freelander appear at the top of the screen?

Series owners please note seats must be able to slide fully backwards and forwards

As for D3 owners - well I think I'd get rid right now.

The justification is to fall in line with Europe but we have "resisted" proposals to begin MOTs at 4 years instead of three and to have tests every two year instead of annually.

Reply to
bert

I can't decide if they are actually testing the sub-systems mentioned or just checking that the dashboard indicator lights linked to those sub-systems don't indicate a problem after the POST. I suspect the latter as the burden on the MOT testing stations to actually test, say the stabilty control across all makes/models, would be just too great.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

An erroneous view, I feel. I'd be very surprised if seats that are fixed by design are subject to this requirement.

Everything else mentioned seems to fall into the category that if fitted, even if totally non-essential/non-safety, should work. That is typical EU and typically seen as fit for 'enhancement' by UK legislators.

Reply to
Dougal

There is plenty of evidence that annual vehicle safety testing does not improve road safety - and in many cases makes it worse. An on road testing regime where you can be stopped and your vehicle then subjected to a test is far more likely to make sure that owners keep their vehicles maintained all year instead of just the week before an MOT test is due. The annual tests are now more about income for testing stations and very little to do with reducing vehicle accidents.

Reply to
Why are people so cruel

Series 2 seat bases are supposed to be moveable. By about an inch. I'll have to check mine and grease the runners now, I suppose.

Reply to
John Williamson

Considering the number of vehicles one sees with blown brake lights, rear lights and even head lights I would think it is just a case of only checking before the MOT and then they probably get the garage to do it.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

'Twas a bit tongue in cheek

I just wonder how much is actually EU and how much is MoT jobsworth's enhancements.

Reply to
bert

Actually "classic" vehicles are now exempt all together. I think it's just been extended to 1974 - article today on Reliant Robins, last one manufactured 1973

Reply to
bert

I suspect there isn't much evidence to suggest that failed headlamp wash-wipes have caused any more accidents than those cars of same model range which do not have them in the first place.

Reply to
bert

That'd be handy, mine's a 1968 model, mostly... (Actually, it's about

50/ 50 by weight)

Wait for the sting in the tail when they decide you can't have a classic as your only vehicle.

Reply to
John Williamson

Years ago I had a SII Landrover stripped down, no roof, windscreen, doors, etc. It failed an MOT because the windscreen wipers were not fitted!! I put the wipers on - but still no windscreen - and it was passed.

Reply to
Why are people so cruel

In message , Why are people so cruel writes

Following on behind all this are proposals to decree that only manufacturer approved replacement spares can be used. I believe this is already the case in Italy.

Reply to
bert

I'd be willing to bet that Land Rover Defenders privately owned for Civil Defence purposes in Italy are already exempt from this one.

Reply to
Bill

In article , bert writes

Yup. Another delightful EU directive.

Just remember it's all about democracy, not corporate lobbying in back rooms.

Grrrr.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

On or around Thu, 21 Mar 2013 14:29:47 +0000, bert enlightened us thusly:

You sure that wasn't Regals? we definitely had a 1978 Robin... twas UOJ 49S

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Could be - I'm only quoting what I've heard/read somewhere - I think it was BBC News

Reply to
bert