New Range Rover - 19"/20" Alloys on TD6?

Anyone know of a good technical reason why Land Rover don't offer the

19" or 20" alloys on the TD6 variant of the new Range Rovers? Why is it a only V8 option?

Dealer told me it was because LR got approval for those wheels on the V8 only. Sound like bullshit to me.

Is it a marketing ploy since there is no clearly obvious exterior difference between the TD6 and the V8 Range Rover other than the wheels?

Thanks, George

Reply to
George M Taylor

It is not bullshit, The reason is because the TD6 produces much more vibrations and this is carried over through the propshafts and driveshafts to the wheels and tyres, and because of the low profile on the 19 or 20" rims there is little shock absorbance, I can verify this as we had a customer who ordered 9J 20 " for his TD6, he drove 50 miles came back and wanted the original 18" wheels back. This info is direct from Land Rover. I work for a mail dealer.

GGG "George M Taylor" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
GGG

TVR had a similar problem to this a couple of years ago. They released one of their models with some rather naff looking alloys because the nice open spoke ones they wanted to fit as standard meant it failed the noise tests.

The noise tests were carried out from fixed points and it just happened that a less open wheel shielded the noise enough to get a pass. TVR's solution was to supply the vehicle with the naff wheels and then offer the owner a really good deal on a set of "after market" wheels that looked remarkably like the wheels they originally wanted to fit :-)

If the diesel is borderline on noise levels it could well be that the wheels make the difference.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White