New Range Rover puzzle

When Land Rover where road testing the new Range Rover (the new shape one!) last year I came across 2 of them being test driven. Now this wasn't a one off sighting, far from it. Every day for about 2 weeks when I left for work at 08.00 ish, I would be waiting to pull out of my road onto the A 40 and would normally have to wait for these 2 to pass me. Sometimes they were in convoy, other times they were a few cars apart. Both were left hand drive and N reg I think. One morning I followed one to see where he went. He drove down the A 40, got to the out skirts of Cheltenham, turned off left and headed out of town on a different main road (A 417). I tried to follow him but the boss saw me and rang up to ask why was I following a range rover out of Cheltenham!!. All this happened just before the car was launched and up until 6 months ago. Any idea as to what they were up to or where they might have been heading. All this came back to me after I saw the pre production model in the back of LRW tonight!!

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

On or around 5/10/03 9:24 pm, Dom J using , in article ID blpuli$h9v$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com, scribbled:

Usual test run route. I saw what looked suspiciously like the next Discovery (heavily disguised) in the same area last month. Pity my camera was in the loadspace and not in the cabin at the time or I'd have snapped it!

Reply to
Llandrovers

Any new vehicle will be extensively road tested as a part of the final QA - Land Rover are no different from other manufacturers in that respect. I did hear someone say that all new Landies get at least

250,000 miles worth of road testing (not a bad job, but I'm not sure I'd ever want to own one if I did it!).

Contrary to popular belief, no manufacturer uses the same roads twice

- this is to stop the press grabbing preview shots. What you will have seen is the 'all weather test'. This is where a set route is used for a certain vehicle for a set period of time - so it can be tested in differing weather conditions.

These routes are always kept fairly secret, for the reason above, however if you see a very strange looking Ford Transit Van in the same 'area' (it will look quite low on the axles), you may like to give it a second glance. It is a rather 'special' van and unlikely to ever see the bum of a parcel delivery person :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

On or around 5/10/03 10:25 pm, somebody whom I don't know, in article ID snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, scribbled:

Except for the roads around Gaydon and Lighthorne of course, and some in Birmingham.

Used to be Maestro vans....

Reply to
Llandrovers

I also saw the Meastro vans bumbling round the area a few years ago, looked quite nice!. Tried to keep up with one of the RR being tested in a hire car once, I thought the 2.5 V6 Omega was quick until I tried to keep up with the RR!!. White Transit van you say.........Hmmm I thought that looked a bit odd when i saw it the other day!. (note to self: take camera every time in van, must get piccys!!)

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J