New to Landy - Maintenance Manual Recommendations?

Hi I've just sold my black 2002 130 BHP VW Golf GT TDI and bought my first Landy. A 2003 defender 90 TD5. Couldn't really go between any two further extremes - bags of character! Looks the dogs B******s although I'm still getting climatised (getting past the motion sickness). Repair manual wise, I've seen a number of people selling what appear to be very comprehensive service and repair manuals on CD through ebay. Anyone ever bought one of these? Are they any good or should I just get a Haynes manual? Also, mine is the bog standard van type 90 as its all I could afford. Is it possible to convert these to a County style landy with rear side windows and seat(s) for the occassional 3rd passenger? Thx

Dennis

Reply to
DB4

There are a few places online that you can download the workshop manual if you check your mail no doubt you will be getting a message as to where from The RAVE manual is the other option very handy tho' the diagrams can be a little opaque so if you get one ask for the EPC ( Electronic Parts Catalogue) too the exploded diagrams are much better. Haynes manual? everybody should have one they stop staining on the coffee table- I'm being unfair if you had to have only one of the above the download which is the factory job is the one to have the Haynes would be last but get one anyway not many folk carry a laptop everywhere e.g. to the bog, dentist etc.

Derek as I get older my computers seems to misspell more worms

Reply to
Derek

Welcome to the rest of your life. I was in your position last year, sold the Volvo and got a Defender 90 tintop (The Blue Pig) or "the bog standard van type 90" as you call it. The world is your oyster with this vehicle. There are hundreds of sites that you can visit that will sell you stuff to enhance the look, performance and feel of your new toy. I joined an internet based club

and found thisgroup to be friendly and very helpful with advice, it's just like this one,but in a more fancy/forum format.www.mud-club.com caters for all offroaders not just landies.Get yourself one of the monthly magazines and have a look at what it's allabout. You can literally spend thousands of pounds fettling your landie toyour taste. Re the manuals, I have one on CD from EBay, another source of bits, toys, add ons and I find this is fine for me. If I can give some advice it would be this. Make sure the main bits, chassis, suspension, brakes, steering are good clean and well maintained before you start tarting it up. It can look great but if it wont get you around safely it isn't worth a light I have some pictures showing various stages of development of my 90. If you would like them to give you some ideas then mail me.

Regards

Reply to
Cassillis

Thanks guys - This looks like my kind of newsgroup!

Reply to
DB4