New toy.

Got the Disco on Friday morning, runs sweet with non of the usual problems that seem to afflict D1's, floor looks like it will take more than a bag of shopping, no clonks or rattles. Not many toys to go wrong.

First thing i did was to hitch up the caravan (£1500kgs) & set off on a

140m trip. Performed better than the Td5 it replaces. Up hill & down dale it never missed a beat, some serious 2nd & 3rd gear hills without the temp gauge moving.

It has a slightly woolly front end i'm putting down to M&S tyres on the front for some reason? They are going anyway. A few little things like a couple of bits of trim bust, but nothing serious.

But, It did not blow *any* smoke all the way there, it was left overnight, then started, for the first 5 or 6 miles it smoked like f*ck, blue smoke, then all was good. I was thinking valve stem seals. Came back to the car after 3 or 4 hours & started with no smoke.

This morning it started cold with no smoke at all, then after a small run, it got left off for 30 mins, started it up & it smoked a bit, nothing bad.

The engine sounds great, no rattles, no oil or coolant use etc.

Seems odd, I'm wondering if the turbo is on it's way out. If it is, given the very tidy condition of the rest of the car, it's not the end of the world. I didn't give that much for it & it is bloody tidy.

BTW, the 300tdi is a very good engine for towing too.

The only thing i really prefer in the D2 is the ACE, all the rest is not needed for my uses.

Reply to
Nige

Nice one Nige.

Like mine, without toys, but I now wish I had electric windows, electric mirrors and cruise control.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Na thern matey, it's got CL & mirrors etc, but no daft electronic suspension & engine s**te.

Stayed at the campsite you gave me the heads up on, cracking site or what?

I'll get some pics of the off roading to you this week too.

Reply to
Nige

Sounds like a good one Nige, You've a habbit of finding these smokers though ;-)

Could be a failed glow plug though I'm sure that the 200 and 300 tdi's need little glow plug action to get them to fire. That said if it did smoke I'd expect no more than we get on the 110.

I really like our Disco which is the same shape, ES Spec and V8 Auto (LPG'd), very little to entice us away at the moment.

That said were off in the 110 to France / Spain as even the Disco let us down last time, partly my fault I guess as I dislodged a wire on the coil which only came off and shorted out six hundred miles later - Theres something about the crude simplicity of a Diesel (pre engine management systems) that is reassuring.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Plugs look new, but it was heavy smoke, way too much for that. Odd, very odd.

Reply to
Nige

"Nige" Said

Nige, my 300tdi disco used to smoke like that, the problem was solved by blanking off the EGR system, now it doesnt smoke at all even under heavy load.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I'll have a look, was it blue smoke though matey?

Reply to
Nige

"Nige" Said

Blue/Grey

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Heheheh has it got a diff-lock. ;) You might get up hills easier with one. ;)

Oh yes. Make a good 'unofficial' site if we ever feel like going North again.

Cheers mate.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Weren't people using £2 or 2p coins, depending on how flash they were? Or am I thinking of a different blanking plate?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

"p coins are supposed to be an exact fit.

I used a plate off ebay. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

H'mmm plan - sell 2p coins on ebay! everyones a winner! ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Got a proper blanking plate from Simmonites for £3!

Reply to
Nige

Did it have a picture of the queen and "2p" written on it?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

No, it has the lugs on it ;) (not Prince Charles btw!)

Reply to
Nige