new toy

has a few issues, but overall pretty tidy.

Petrol pump doesn't run, might be that the wiring is up the shoot somewhere. The gas conversion on it is not obviously interrupting injectors, ergo it must be switching off the pump - there's extra wiring to the pump relay under the seat. Will need to trace that and see what it's doing; however bridging it didn't make the pump run. Might be a dead pump - the bloke reckons he's only been running on gas and the pump fuse was blown, although it didn't blow again. However, it's not likely to if it's been disconnected, for example.

Runs nicely on gas though, got it back here OK once I tracked down a gas-station in Coventry (unaccountably rare), where the gas was running low. Plenty of power and nice and smooth, box behaves correctly, AFAICT.

Anyone want to make guesses as to which component(s) are responsible for the quite-violent shimmy it gets into if you hit a significant bump in the road at much over 55? Goes away if you slow to 50, less likely to do it at 60+, but if it does go harmonic there's further to slow down. Could be dampers or steering damper, but it doesn't feel quite like that.

I'm guessing at suspension bushes, that's what it feels like. I should have some new ones knocking around somewhere.

minor stuff includes the electric sunroof not working, and the driver's seat back adjustment knob is disconnected from the seat back somehow.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That could be mine - even the same colour - Caspian Blue? Probably not your problem, but the rubber coupling in the steering column was split in mine. I was considering LPG partly as a means of avoiding the fuel pump time-bomb, could make it a better proposition.

Reply to
jg

Isn't that a fairly typical swivel pre-load issue?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Swivels I would guess.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Fri, 25 Jul 2008 18:06:40 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

I'll do one of 2 things this morning: jack it up here and look, or take it to get some new tyres (front ones especially are cracky in the side walls, although they have reasonable tread) and look while it's jacked up at the tyre place.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Good luck with it Austin looks a decent piece of kit , so I'm a bit jealous cos I still miss Peggy . Bung some switch cleaner in the seat adjuster box before you get to engrossed in tracing the feed it cured Peggy's which was a bit more urgent as it was the fore and aft adjustment switch and the seat was way to far forward for my legs. I was saying toVicky I would have one today with gas provided the tank was not in the boot (dogs) . If the shimmy is only at high speeds I would be less than surprised if it was tyre related I've just changed a rear that was behaving badly but only at very low speeds and over 50 was it noticable( that odd feeling in the seat of your pants thank god it was not a front).Close inspection showed a tread bar was out of line from the rest which rapidly became a self destructing tyre delamination ! I'll send a photo if you want to see how bad it got in a day. Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:27:24 +0100, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

ah, this one has manual seat controls. Probably comes of being a plain vogue and not a vogue SE.

however, found the fault with the seat: it's flimsy at the front, which bends, thereby disengaging the adjusters. I've managed to adjust it for now, and it'll need remaking properly.

Meanwhile, petrol system is offline due to non-functional in-tank pump, buggrit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:27:24 +0100, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

I've just had new General AT2s put on it and now it shimmies considerably less.

The flexi-thing in the steering shaft has unacceptable play in it, which is likely related, and it'll be an MOT fail in any case, so ordered a replacement. Same goes for the tyres, they'd not have passed the test due to sidewall cracking.

Now I need a pump, buggrit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

My old RRC had the 'death shimmy'. I changed the steering damper first as it was the easyist thing to do. It helped but never got rid of the shake completely.

Dom

Reply to
Dom J

I've got manual leather seats in mine, not seen another like it but the adjuster slips when you rotate it, feels like the plastic wheel has split as it won't adjust, got to get round to fixing it soon.

The seat back has twisted on mine, further back on the left side of it, got to investigate that also.

I've got a good one of those if you want to throw a bid, I'm not going to use it now as I've gone diesel long ago. Before you replace the pump check the connection under the nearside rear wheel arch, you can power it up with a battery there to check if the pump is working. When I had a '90 RRC petrol it had a faulty relay on top of the front nearside wheel arch which died and cut the fuel pump, try that first. Martin.

Reply to
Oily

Or the wires to it have dropped off/corroded etc..

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Fri, 25 Jul 2008 23:20:04 +0100, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

The seat back adjusters are 2 in number. If you undo the cover at the front of the seat cushion and lift the cover/foam, you find there's a shaft across the front of the seat with 2 shafts going along the sides. The front of the set on mine is bendy (having once been bent) and when it bends it takes with it the front adjuster bit, disengaging the side shafts from 2 little gearboxes.

To get the seat straight you need to re-adjust them individually and then re-assemble the mechanism, except in my case, I need to repair the seat frame properly first.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 25 Jul 2008 23:20:04 +0100, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

I checked for volts at the pump connector on top of the tank. I've ordered a new one - they seem prone to fail, as I had one go on the disco I had before, so I'm wary of s/h ones. besides, the last S/h one I got (which did, to be fair, work) cost nearly as much as a new one anyway. I was already ordering steeruing shaft stuff from Paddocks...

Steering is much safer with new tyres, it still shimmies but it dies down again, rather than going into a harmonic oscillation.

I'll have a look at the steering damper, found quite a good one knocking around the workshop... I don't know what it came off, but it looks the same. I've a suspicion that all the steering dampers are the same anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 25 Jul 2008 18:20:27 +0100, "Dom J" enlightened us thusly:

Heh. I had it on the 110 years ago, that was a shot damper. I think it's generally a combination of things no one of which is really bad.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well I might be a little sensitive, but this NG is just a bit too exclusive - I wish your little club well and goodbye.

Reply to
jg

Stay a little longer - appearances are deceptive!

Reply to
Dougal

I say, who let you in?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

The door was open.

Reply to
Dougal

Do you know Brigadier Golightly-Smythe? He's in charge of group membership approvals. I think he's off hunting wildebeest in Africa, or was it natives?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ah, old Chuffers! Last I heard was that he was up in Ethiopia chasing the Surma - he's got a thing about women with lip plates. I'm not sure that he's too keen on me though: I tried to run off with his niece once!

Reply to
Dougal