New tyre laws on the horizon

On or around Wed, 11 Mar 2009 22:58:02 -0000, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

I've never had any problems with contis, not the best out there but equate OK with others at similar price, IMHO.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Austin Shackles" wrote after "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

What I was getting at was that they were comparing these cheap Chinese tyres with Contis which aren't the best so what difference would there be if they compared them with the best tyres. At one point, whilst the Conti shod car had stopped, the same car fitted with one of the cheap tyres was still doing

30mph. Not what you want behind you in an emergency stop situation!
Reply to
Bob Hobden

Nah, I've had remoulds on my cars for ages and they've been fine, there's a lot of rumour about remoulds but they've gotten better than they were when I was a kid, not worse.

That's road noise you're talking about, tyre noise is caused by tyres, a quieter tyre would still make more noise on one surface than the other, but would make less overall. Do you actually think that the people working on tyres aren't aware of different road surfaces?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

They score poorly in those tests relative to others, but what's missing a bit is what that actually *means* and whether coming last really amounts to much, the spread of "points" is pretty small.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I must've missed it but all those tyres tested had identical tread patterns? So if I fit chunky Kumo off road, they'll be quieter than a Michelin road tyre. Bollix!

Reply to
GbH

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Can't beat a nice bit of concrete for more noise.

Reply to
hugh

Naw when it needs an MOT at 3 years she'll sell it and buy another brand= new motor.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Naw when it needs an MOT at 3 years she'll sell it and buy another brand new motor.

-----------------

Wait until she finds out about depreciation on that car.

You think that Landys are bad, since Top Gear took to rubbishing the Prius the second hand ones are worth bugger all.

Reply to
William Black

IMHO new ones are worth about the same

Reply to
GbH

Well, they do waste your fuel whilst waiting for them to crawl out of the way.

Reply to
Oily

Well yes, but this probably isn't the forum where you'll find a dissenting view to yours.

Reply to
William Black

On or around Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:04:34 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

No, as a friend is fond of saying "fortunately, I'm not as stupid as I look".

But IME, with the same tyres on the same vehicle, tyre/road interface noise can vary quite widely between surfaces - even a noisy tyre, on a quiet road, is not offensive, but on the wrong road surface any tyre will be noisy.

It's also my experience that the noisy roads are the ones surfaced on the cheap...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Around ehre some motorways are still concrete & they are very noisy.

Reply to
Nige

Yes, obviously, and I don't quite know why you've bought this road surface thing up.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Some tyres on some vehicles will be noisy too - SWMBO has a set of Bridgestones on her *cough* that are as noisy as f*ck, yet the same tyres on my Hilux are quiet. The SATs on my SIIa are a different story altogether.

Reply to
EMB

SATs are brill for scaring the shit out of anyone who pulls out at the last minute and causes you to lock the wheels up on tarmac. :-)

Reply to
Oily

On or around Fri, 13 Mar 2009 08:41:47 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

wasn't me, was it?

anyway, it's relevant to the topic: tyre noise comes from the tyre/road interface, almost all of it, and as such, both tyres and roads can be improved to make less noise. There are places where they've put down special quiet road surface, although IME the hot rolled black macadam does quite well in this respect.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Aye and some is so damn quiet as to be disconcerting and they have signs before it to warn you!

Only trunk roads are done like that though, almost every where else is chippings stuck (hopefully) to bitumen, possibly several applications on top of each other until they plane it back and start again. Below that might be cheap tarmac but the surface isn't the nice smooth one of rolled tarmac.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's very relevant as neither the tyre nor the road surface make any noise on their own. It just suits the Government not to insist on 'quiet' surfacing materials and to place the burden where the motorist can be seen to pay. Not, of course, that the motorist doesn't pay for road maintenance it's just that roads are not repaired any more.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:32:55 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

part of the problem is they use bitumen emulsion now, not proper sticky tar. And a thin later of it, at that. Add in larger chippings than used to be used and it's all doomed, I tell ye.

Reply to
Austin Shackles