News on the RaRo front

Well, the main dealer has had a look at it, and they say it's NOT broken a conrod. The engine is, according to their diagnosis, fine. The problem is that the drive plate on the front of the torque convertor has disintegrated. This does sort of make sense, given the symptoms I experienced.

So it's being replaced, my dealer is paying, and I may even have it back tomorrow evening. Watch this space.

David

Reply to
David French

David French tried to scribble ...

Nice one .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Yet another sleepless night of excitement and wonder...just how many christmas's can one bloke have :-)

I can recommend Caffreys and a quick shift changeover, seems to work for me.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

You coming up to collect it?

There's a place just off London Road does great coffee...

;-)

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Yes, but it's in darkest Lincolnshire at the moment. I rather suspect it's the dealer Dave "Foxhunter" Rideout uses. I think I'll have to be parachuted in, as there doesn't seem to be a main road for about 100 miles :)

David.

Reply to
David French

Hee Hee........ If it is at Duckworth's..... Don't hold your breath. Also expect a rather large 'Test Drive' mileage. Not sure where mine went when it was there, but given the miles it accumulated, it was looking for the 'MAIN ROAD' you mention........! My Td6 is still not well. Went to Birmingham in it today, and it was VERY wallowy and bouncy. Also was CRAP at changing gear. only way to get it to change without red lining it was to use tiptronic. Looks like another extended holiday for it tomorrow. Let me know how you get on with Duckworth's.

Reply to
Foxhunter

Hmmmmmmmmmm. :-( see earlier posting (02/11 updated today) about current state of affairs on the infamous Td6.

Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

Weeeeell.... It's now tomorrow evening... and?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Yeah, I forgot Warren has a new coffee machine ;-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Just got in. And it's working. Although the cruise control is still not working. And there is now a water leak from the bottom hose which may need a new rad. Welcome to Range Rovers!

Apparently the drive plate on the torque convertor had disintegrated. They replaced it and the problem is solved.

The dealer I originally bought it from paid for the whole lot without jibbing, which I have to be thankful for, as they could have made the whole thing very painful.

But for now it's back and I'm happy again for the meanwhile...

David.

Reply to
David French

Ah, so you're about to compete with Paul are you? :-)

That's reassuring. I didn't manage to ask Warren what he knew of them, got rather overtaken by other things I'm afraid.

I guess that it's an opportunity for you to gain a few more mechanical skills?

Enjoy, you're on your way to a 101 :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

David French tried to scribble ...

Nice to hear it .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:56:29 -0000, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

I've heard from I forget where that this can be caused by heavy towing at high speeds, when the clutch in the converter is locked up. Dunno why this would be the case, mind, nor can I remember where I heard it. Mine, with a mere 3.5, doesn't get to lock-up speed (just over 50) when towing heavy loads.

meanwhile, checked the speedo against a GPS the other day, and it's almost exactly right. Now I'm worried...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

When Andy - the chap who forced me to get the bigger wheels and tyres for Grumble, put the new boots on, his speedo was bang on compared to the GPS reading... Mine is somewhere around 20 percent out. This is partly why I like Random Theory and Land Rover design ;-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Theres an ambi on ebay at the moment for £770....

Reply to
Tom Woods

Mine is within 2 mph at any speed, on Petlas tyres. It slightly under-reads if anything.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

As an aside how accurate are GPS speedo readings? I bought one recently and was suprised to find my speedo aggreed with the GPS but our Astra was 5MPH under.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Don't answer that. After thinking a bit I realised thats a bloody stupid question!

Of course the're very accurate, if it can place you to approx ten feet anywhere on the planet then it would be wouldn't it?

Reply to
Simon Barr

Yes, and as the speed is calculated on the basis of the changing of your position it is not dependent on the some-feet-error of the pgs, because the error stays the same. GPS speedo ratings are extremely accurate.

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

On or around Wed, 12 Nov 2003 07:51:21 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

*perk*

nah, I don't need a 101 nah, I don't need a 101 nah, I don't need a 101 nah, I don't need a 101 nah, I don't need a 101 nah, I don't need a 101 nah, I don't need a 101 nah, I don't need a 101 nah, I don't need a 101 nah, I don't need a 101

especially if I stop the school transport lark and get a job as a bus driver.

Reply to
Austin Shackles