Nissan Engine

I have a 1986 Land Rover County 110 which I have had from new. It had a

2.5 Nat Asp engine which stopped working twice in the first 60,000 miles. The man who was then the Technical Editor of the Land Rover Owners Magazine replaced the engine with a Nissan FD35 3.5 ltr Turbo Diesel.

Even after 250,000 miles it still flies like a bird until last week when travelling in France it caught fire. Apparently an electrical fault in the cable but it has also caused damage to the starter motor.

This is an Hitachi 12v 9 77 with the following codes on it S14/01

23300 01D01

Here in France no one seems to be able to match it and in fact when I rang Nissan France at 4pm today their answering machine wished me good morning and told me to ring back between the hours of 8am and 7pm.

Samuri in the UK are also trying to help but so far with no luck.

If anyone has any clue as to how to solve this problem I should be pleased to hear from you.

CHRIS

Reply to
Janet and Chris Wilkinson

On or around Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:20:11 +0100, Janet and Chris Wilkinson enlightened us thusly:

bummer. what vehicle is that engine fitted to? You'll likely find that the starter you have has been replaced by a different model number or something, but is nonetheless available as a replacement.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

As I said it is fitted to a Land Rover County 110.

CHRIS

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Reply to
Janet and Chris Wilkinson

I suspect he meant which Nissan...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:10:26 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

I did indeed. If you go to the nissan-bits-seller and ask for a starter motor for a FD35 engine, the chances are they'll not know what yer on about. If however you go and ask for a starter for a 1986 Nissan Patrol (say) then you stand a sporting chance.

the maker of the actual motor is next-to-irrelevant, since various maker probably make equivalent motors.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Agreed - this is sound advice.

AFAIK all Nissan starters are made by Hitachi. The problem is likely to be that most FD35's were produced as 24 volt.

Reply to
EMB

If I were in your situation I'd just look for someone who can rebuild the thing - you should be able to find someone fairly locally who reconditions starter motors and alternators. If they can't do anything with it, at least they're in a better position to recognise it and find a replacement.

Out of interest, what kind of fuel economy does that engine return?

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod