NO! DON'T!

If you have a 1990's Rangie don't under any circumstances look at the link below. It may shatter any illusion you have of how good your car us underneath.

I've started to explore here following accident damage which also not only meant I had to replace the door and wing but all the other horrors that lurk below.

On the bright side...I'm not paying, the other guys Insuarance is. As I'm having to provide the labourbut hey ho... apart from the Door and wing alot of this would have been due for repair anyway so looks like the guy did me a favour. I can now replace the likes of the inner wing and rear aches in the process.

Anyway enough chat... now for the dirty pictures..

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

OMG!!!! My (un-named) beast arrives in a few days & is older than yours!! I think an apt name may be 'Ferrous Oxide' Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

This image looks familiar!!!

This one is from my 87 RR... I agree.. just dont start looking!!!
Mark.

Reply to
mark solesbury

Owwwee!

Did you fix it?

I need to get the rear wing off as the pannel could do with replacing too due to ally corrosion. Given the effort I'm going to I don't want to be spraying it for it to bubble up again in 18 months time.

Many people may be questioning my sanity but I'm in not ready to spen a wad on an upgrade and the settlement may get me a tidy motor now but in 5 to 8 years it would be a worthless motor not worth repairing.. At least the Rangie will be going still and if needs be repairable on a rolling basis. And what more I know the car .. It's like it becomes a part of you after a while... something to do with skinned knuckles and wleding burns I expect.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Nice pictures Lee. Has the RR had a hard life? My 88 model is only just showing sill rust - admitedly the top tail gate is like a net curtain and there are many cosmetic failings but not other rust.

As you can tell I still haven't found my sodding parts book. In your researches for sill repair parts you haven't come across any sort of patching repairs for sills, have you? I have found a rust split in the bottom of my outer sill below the driver's side B pillar and was wondering about repeating the repairs done to my previous RRC but doing muself this time. When the 'Y' reg RRC was welded the guy just cut patches from a huge sheet of 2mm steel and whacked them on. I'd rather weld an entire patch right along the sill so as to box it in in in one hit.

I'll find that parts list soem time after you have bought one!

BTW you may find that some of the water appearing in the driver and passenger footwells - if this is happening - gets in through a plugged corner formed where the outer footwell panel (i.e. to the right of the driver's right foot) meets the vertical panel below the windscreen. I only found this hole when I replaced the wiper moter and had to remove the decker panel. There was the remains of some really hard and flaky sealant around the holes but water coming down the windscreen was able trickle through them and into the footwells with the inevitable consequence.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Not a real hard life... to our knowledge anyway , We have had it since 1999. It's not been undersealed or owt so I suppose it's been a little abused. It's also had a couple of trips along Black rock sands and also several laps of Cannock chase.. but on each occaions was given right good old clean... more so down to the weather in Wales (extreme white water rafting meets A5!). It's not really been pampered until now. Just running repairs, perhaphs a case of you reap what you soe.

Always the way init!

I've been trying to avoid removing the decker pannel..... Once the wings undone is it just the row of screw under the bonnet? Seems I'm going to be doing the full hit so may as well get it all right. The other Inner wing will need doing before it gets near a spray gun, I've a vision of it on the Range Rover register display one day... If I join... and go in it... I really need a low loader as I'd love to take them all to Shows.

:o$

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

One of these sir? Suits you sir oooooooh!

Paddocks £16.50 plus vare and tare.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Carefull, the insurance company only pays for repairs caused by the damage, not your long-term rot problems......

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Yeah and as they said the cars a write off so technically they aint paying for anything other than my recompense so given the cars mine to do with what I want then what I spend the payout on in this case is irrelevant iyswim. They did say I'd have to sort out the salvage... which is what I'm doing :-)

Not a clue if it'll get a Cat d marker yet but if it does it will be check by the VI anyway so no great loss as it's not going anywhere.

Everyones a winner..ish.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Found the parts book now and have tried to send you an email. If you don't receive it send me an email the bigfoot address redirects to the one I'm using now so either is fine.

Nope! Bonnet off. Row of self tappers along leading edge of Decker Panel. Then two 10 mm bolts that pass through the inner lip of each end to said panel into the tops of the wings. You can see the front ones by looking back along the top of the wing towards the A post. The back ones are total whotsits to reach - through the gap between the open door and A pillar. They will be rusted solid. The captive nuts were available as spares 390728 'Nut Plate'. Remove wiper arms etc. Then use patented hinge extensions to force the hinges down as if compressed by the bonnet. I use two lengths of spur shelf metal. You have to bring the hinges down as you wiggle the Decker Panel forward. I've never taken the wings off but have removed and refitted the Decker Panel twice. If you do take it off seriously consider the state of you wiper motor and whether you can bear to have to take it all off again.just to replace the motor.

Thanks for the sill repair link.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Lee,

can you post (or send me) the whole link? I can't get it to work

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Yep. By the look of things i bought the exact same panel from brookwells....

Is all nice and rust free now. Just dont ever look at the offside!!

mark.

Reply to
mark solesbury

Lol don't start me on the rust! My battery bay and rear door (just on the corner of the window guide have succumbed to rust. I smacked my seatbelt anchors...and I was showered in rust! Jigsawed them out and new panels. Thankfully the chassis is in very good nick, just some minor cosmetic problems that a bit of filler would sort with relative ease!

Have a gander!

Psychobiker