non-revving 300TDI

Just brought P-reg 300TDI Disco, 60000 miles. Run well for 1000 miles, then just today its started not revving, it pulls okay for first 10-15 minutes, then will just not rev abouve about 2000rpm. Pressing the throttle hard down just seems to make it go slower. My first thoughts are I put in some "wonder injector cleaning stuff" about 2 tanks ago. Could it be its shifted crap from system and actually clogged up injectors. If fuel filter is clogged i guess same would occur. Worried about turbo being shot, how can you test it?

Any other ideas, that spring to mind would be exhaustively checked and reported back

Many thanks in anticipation

Tony

Reply to
Tony

It does sound like a partial blockage somewhere in the fuel system. I don't think the symptoms match turbo failure - that would be more just loss of power, smoke, and usually oil consumption, often strange noised. JD

Reply to
JD

Engine will still rev with a knackered turbo, just no power. I had one in like this recently, thought the pump and maybe one or more injectors were shot, turned out it had petrol mixed in the diesel tank by mistake!!!! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Hmm did fill up from jerry can, definitely was diesel cos i filled up the can same time as company van ahemmm, but there was a bit a crap in the can as it poured out, inside coating of jerry can breaking down i think. Maybe expensive ecomony measure......

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Tony uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Fill it all the way up and see if that does owt.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Change the fuel filter ?

Steve

Reply to
steve

Any sign of smoke?

Reply to
SimonJ

Check that the turbo actuator is actually doing something, i.e no split hoses etc. Also check that all the air intake hoses have not gone soft and are collapsing intenally, and check the air filter.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I'm surprised he hasn't done that first job, along with chassis mounted water trap.

Martin.

Reply to
Oily

Memories! Ah yes simply remove the fuel line...

I seem to recall fitting a new water trap in the engine bay of the Rangie, much easier to access but does have the disadvantage of no longer being the lowest point on the system... something to do with having to replace the fuel line... due to having set it alight after the underseal caught from the plasma cutter.... while replacing the sills, inner arches, door pillars and repairing the footwells... Another simple job, it's amazong how fast you can kill the power and reel out a garden hose when you really need to, though I do recall getting told off as in my panic I switched the freezer off at the same time. Happy days!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Have you got half a tank left - my Disco here did just the same thing. Crud fuel, a lot ut of Jerry Cans had blocked the fuel outlet from the tank. Apparently, there are two openings in the feed from the tank - one on the top of a cone filter in the tank, and the other set at the base of the same filter. The bottom holes are small, and can get blocked. If a full tank of fuel gets the power back, then take the tank out and give it a good clean.

Cheers! Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter