Normal? or the beginning of the old money pit syndrome

I'm getting a little nervous. You know that feeling you got when you realised what makes Land Rover products so endearingly irritating

DVLA have still not returned the documents, so I'm a bit fed up but I thought at least I can tinker a bit & be ready for when they arrive.

So I fitted the CD player and I refitted the instrument panel surround because it had a bit of a rattle. How do you test the rattle? You start the engine and get the car vibrating don't you......

....unless your battery is flat, and you get an ABS error message, and you get a gearbox error message, and the engine spits a bit and then struggles to turn over.

So, the question, before I start to panic (the normal procedure). A flat battery is unlucky, right? it could happen to anyone, particularly when the car has been sat for a few days after a few weeks of short trips and now the weather is cold, damned cold. Could the flat battery cause false messages on the dash?

Reply to
Robbiedoo

A dying battery can go flat overnight after a full charge, until I plucked up the courage to get the wallet out, I used to put my Audi on charge every night, otherwise the following morning it would turn over a few times then the car would go nuts. Lights flashing, alarm squeaking and glooping like it never normally would, relays clicking rapidly all over the place etc.

So yes, it could just be the battery, I've had it happen on two audis so far, and it does send the car nuts. The landy's had the same battery for 5 years now and despite not getting used much it's been fine, starts on the first turn even in the cold, don't quite know why the landy's been fine while the other cars have been so bad.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

You need to know if that battery is OK first, so take it to a mechanic with a load tester and hydrometer (unless its a sealed battery). Once you know that you have a good battery then worry about the rest of the problems if they reappear.

Regards

WIlliam MacLeod

Reply to
willie

On or around Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:36:02 GMT, "Robbiedoo" enlightened us thusly:

is this a P38? You haven't left it in gear or something?

The more I hear about P38s, the less I'm likely to buy one, TBH. It's undoubtedly a fine car when in form, but I don't reckon I've got the right attitude, the idea of something that can flatten the battery 'cos you left it in gear...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Gearbox error message is standard for P38's with flat battery. I can't confirm the ABS message, but I wouldn't be surprised. Next it'll give you window switch error messages- no problem, once power is restored just reset by lowering & raising them all the way.

Don't panic, she's just being chatty. Although in line with recent comments here, you've probably done something to offend her...

"Musician is to DJ as Author is to Librarian"

Reply to
Natalie Drest

Yes, It's a P38.

It's Auto so I'm not sure about your left in gear theory, it's in P as usual.

I've not heard that one before, I'll give it a charge and then see how it goes.

Thanks

Reply to
Robbiedoo

Thanks

I didn't realise I'd bought a female car!!

I jumped her this morning (oo-er) and guess what - no Gearbox error. I still got the ABS Fault but I'm not too worried yet, the ABS warning light remains on and according to the book will go out upon reaching 5mph so when DVLA sort me out we'll be going for a run - I'll check again after that.

Reply to
Robbiedoo

On or around Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:22:33 GMT, "Robbiedoo" enlightened us thusly:

there was a thread about it last week. P38 auto on which the battery went flat, all sorts of amusement. There was a suggestion that leaving it not in P would keep one or more computers operating. 's like the thing about Oregon weather stations only different.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Robbiedoo uttered summat worrerz funny about:

ABS light is the same on my Disco 1

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Well

DVLA called yesterday at around 13:30, that's the 7 working days almost to the hour so I made the trip from home to Stretford and back in about 1 hr 40 to collect the docs (and that's not bad at all on a Friday afternoon).

I took her out for a spin and boy has it been worth the wait. Superb drive, comfortable, effortless, acceptable performance (she's no sports car, but I was quite impressed for a big heavy diesel). Everything I missed about the Disco and more besides.....

I had to jump start her but the run out seems to have done the world of good, I have seen no gearbox or ABS faults throughout the journey or during the mandatory visiting friends to show her off. The windows needed resetting again this morning so I guess there's still a battery issue somewhere (could be the cold) but she started fine.

I'm happy as a pig in shit.

Regards to all

Robbiedoo

Reply to