Not a J**p

We have been having a giggle at the antics of J**p drivers of late so when I saw this video

reminded me of that other post of Austins
ouch! and a demonstration of why rollbars are such a good idea on trialsDerek

Reply to
Derek

lesson of the day Engage Reverse and DONT STEER!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

The worst was...applying the brakes!! If he/she had just released them in time.... Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Mark Solesbury came up with the following;:

More like ... If you're using a spotter, follow their uinstructions ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Lesson no.2

Please ensure your spare wheel is secured....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:47:27 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

actually, it's more "how not to fail a hillclimb". it's the backing down where he got it wrong - could be he braked - front wheels are light and lose grip, resulting in it going sideways.

mind, it looks like it survived fairly intact.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 7 Jan 2006 18:42:58 -0000, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

ah, that was the jeep one. The landy bloke braked when trying to back down a hill and then failed to realise that he'd lost steering until too late.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 08 Jan 2006 00:08:20 +0000, Alex enlightened us thusly:

yes, I noticed that.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've looked at it a few times there appears to be a section missing after he stalls the engine (10secs) when it resumes he's already sliding with the brakes locked + the backend coming round having lost it, difficult to say whether it went sliding with the brakes locked on the restart attempt or he broke adhesion trying to climb the last bit , paniced and locked up still glad it wasnt me I've never liked going down backwards Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:50:14 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

can be exciting, yes. 's one of those things you have to know about though. Locked front wheels in reverse will overtake the back ones just like a handbrake turn only the other way round.

I believe the official technique if you stall the engine is to put it in reverse, clutch up, then start the engine with it in gear. If it's not too steep and there's enough grip, trundle slowly backwards, keeping it straight. If it starts to slide, then that means you've lost rear grip[1], and sometimes you have to apply some throttle to speed the wheels up a bit.

[1] unless you braked.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 07:39:07 +0000, Austin Shackles wrote (in article ):

Potentially dumb question from someone who's off road driving experience is limited to taking the easiest route possible across a few fields: are there circumstances (this being one of them) where would one might actually be better off trying to go up backwards?

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Williams

...and Nick Williams spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

If it's hard going forwards, imagine it with one hand on the wheel, looking over your shoulder, and with rear-wheel steering! Not for me, thanks. It's not a dumb question, but before you attempt something like that, get someone to show you the "failed ascent" technique - it would have saved that guy his Landy.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:01:28 +0000, Richard Brookman wrote (in article ):

I see what you mean. Having spent most of my life driving vehicles without useable rear windows, I rarely turn my head and look out of the back when reversing, even in the car - I take it slowly and use the mirrors. I certainly wasn't thinking about charging backwards up something in the way this guy does. I had in mind an approach which relied on grip rather than momentum, and which provided a better opportunity for a safe bail-out.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Williams

Thats put me off driving up very steep hills without having a roll bar!

Weston Coyney looks almost exactly like the place in that clip. I've driven down a hill just like that. On the way down we hit a bump and my passenger managed to get from sitting in the passenger seat to having her head wedged between my knees and the steering wheel, at which point i stalled it because i couldnt move my legs. Thats why you wear seatbelts!

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:49:30 +0000, Nick Williams enlightened us thusly:

it would allow of better control in the descent phase, but it's often the case that the sort of hill you fail to climb needs more momentum than you could easily achieve in reverse - if there's enough grip for a slow controlled climb you're unlikely to be needing an abort strategy, unless your the kind of dumbass that's driving the jeep in the clip mentioned upthread a bit. In his case, it was an obvious error, which was to ignore the bloke doing the guiding.

mind you, guiding people like that is not something I willingly do. too much scope for getting the blame if it goes wrong. Although the guy in the video clip has clear evidence in that case that it was the driver's fault.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

A likely story if ever I heard one!

Reply to
GbH

In message , Tom Woods writes

Is Weston Coyney still operational? When is it open?

Reply to
hugh

I've not been for ages. My landy was my only car for a long time and i didnt dare risk breaking it!

I dont know if its open anymore - nobody can ever seem to decide!.

I think there is still stuff going on there but its run by someone other than what it used to be.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Hee hee - how I did laugh! Brilliant giggle at someone elses expense

Mmmmmmmmm ..... ;-)

Di

"The hurrier I am the behinder I get"

Reply to