NtHell

I'm still having trouble seeing my own posts, replies to posts and some new posts which is very hit and Miss... I've managed to see Martyns reply for my membership - ta for the clarification. I've had to resort to Google and it's prolonged updating to see Rich's reply.. I'll call you later Richard re the bumper.

Looks like new service provider time... Just need to bung up a Sky dish and I can dump Ntl then.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:50:50 GMT, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

I've been using what was the CIS server, at news.inidividual.net for ages - they've just put in place a policy to charge for it, but it's only 10 euros a year, at the moment.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ello you two, especially Lee :0) I've posted about a gearbox change, and had very little response, don't suppose either of you have done/seen similar ? (LT85 R380) in my 110V8.

`Mark

Reply to
Mark

adsl.zen.co.uk

The best.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Fingers crossed......

Reply to
lee davies

Should have done it years ago :0)

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:18:36 +0100, Mark enlightened us thusly:

I've not done that one, no. I'd be inclined to hunt a complete box/tbox assembly from a breaker, if I was going to.

hmmm. LT85? that's the 5-speed santana, isn't it?

ISTR LT95 (4-speed) and LT77 (5-speed) in earlier 110s.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 6 Apr 2005 17:27:56 +0100, "lee davies" enlightened us thusly:

if it goes too high in future years, I'll not renew it... I imagine they're not stupid, and realise this. Better to have many thousdands of users paying ?10 each than hundreds paying more.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I paid 20 euros and got it for 2 years

Reply to
George Spigot

Austin Shackles wrote: Better to have many thousdands of users

Bollocks Austin ;-), give me 10 customers hassles at 10,000 quid a go, than 10,000 users hassles at 10 quid a go. Anyday.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Ok then - find me 10 customers willing to pay 10,000 quid a year for usenet and i'll set up the best usenet server ever!

Reply to
EMB

On or around Thu, 07 Apr 2005 09:06:08 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

bah. I was gonna say that. In fact, find me *one* customer...

My point was that if you charge 10 euros, (about 6 quid), lots of people will sign up. If you tried to charge 100 quid, probably less than 10% of the original lot would sign up, bearing in mind the alternatives available for less. If it were twice the price, I'd probably still use it. If it were more than twice the price, I'd think again.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You won't you know.

Usenet is currently running at somewhere over 1.3TB of traffic a day. So, you have to buy IP transit to get the money in - figure around 70p per gig transferred - probably a bit high, but even so. That's 1300 gig a day. £910 a day - just for bandwidth - £335k per year for the bandwidth.

Now figure that you have to store that - Let's work on a 1 year retention -

365 * 1.3TB == 475TB - roughly half a Petabyte.

Now, you could use IDE disks, but you want a good service, not a vaguely pants one with decent amounts of space but piss awful performance.

So, you're into the realms of the big storage companies. Let's assume HDS (Because I happen to have their pricing here).

Approx £17-20 per GB. You need 474000 of those. That's £8m - just for the disk.

Going a bit cheaper, you could go for an IDE based RAID solution - a cheapish one is the DNUK Teravault range - you're looking at around £11k for 6.4TB of storage. So, you need 75 of those. That's £825k

Your servers are going to be reasonably cheap - £6-8k for a decent spec PC based server.

However, at the end of the day, that's insignificant.

So, at the end of a year, with a news server farm that is merely acceptable you are going to cost yourself at least £1.17m. For something a bit better than acceptable the costs go up to somewhere around £8.4m.

You're not going to support that on £100k a year.

Find me a million customers willing to pay a tenner a year. I'll deal with the shit.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Yep, but I want the 5 speed with an internal pump, cos it hasd to do long runs as well, so an R380 is perfect :0)

`Mark

Reply to
Mark

On or around Thu, 07 Apr 2005 09:31:13 +0100, Mark enlightened us thusly:

the LT77 has an internal pump an' all.

Mind, all the LT77s and the early R380s have output shaft problems; of course, if you're looking at recons, then that's not a problem.

Reply to
Austin Shackles