Obit: Christopher Savidge

Many will be saddened to learn of the death yesterday morning of Christopher Savidge (Snr).

Chris was very well known within the world of Rover and Land Rover enthusiasm for his tireless dedication to the Marques. He served for many years on more club committees than I can remember, and worked industriously, often 'behind the scenes' with the unrecognised yet dedicated aid of his wife Bonny, to ensure the smooth running of many Rover and Land Rover events and celebrations, including the highly successful 'Heritage Run and Marque Day', held at Gaydon each May.

As the President of the 101 Forward Control Club and Register, he has given many long years of quite selfless service to our club in so many different ways - including for a number of years, spending many long evenings with Bonny physically stuffing 700 copies of our club magazine; Six Stud into envelopes, then carting them off to the local Post Office four times a year.

Those who knew him will have been aware that Chris has fought Cancer for a number of few years and had hitherto amazed the medics at his longevity. Built of a different generation, just like our trusty Landies, he embodied the qualities of timeless style and unassuming dignity.

Christopher Savidge was a true 'Gentleman', polite and quietly spoken with a compassion and humanity rarely seen in our technology led, impersonal world of email, fax and digital disaffection. Chris didn't need a computer - he already had access to the most enviable database of collated information, contacts, numbers and dates - all readily available from the most powerful of supercomputers; his memory.

Over the years I've grown to value Chris as a comrade, colleague and friend. I'll miss his little handwritten notes, endless lists and incredible attention to detail in every respect.

Our club, richer in every sense for Chris, has lost a most loved President. The world of Rover and Land Rover enthusiasm has lost an Ambassador, Advocate and Brother.

Whilst mourning his passing, I'm sure many would also like to recognise and celebrate his life and the joy he has spread though the enthusiasm and heritage of our beloved oil leaking yet trusty steeds.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

I feel honoured to have know Chris, albeit for a relatively short time. Like Martyn, I will miss his hand written notes - almost unheard of in these days of computerisation - and his undaunting enthusiasm.

My thoughts and best wishes go out to his family and friends around the world.

RIP Christopher Savidge. There are many like me who will mourn your passing.

Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

Martin,

From someone who lives outside the UK, I obviously did not know Christopher. Thank you for your moving tribute to someone who seems to have "done his bit" so that the rest of us can enjoy their Land Rovers by being involved in one of the many clubs that supports the marque.

To Christopher, thank you. To his family, my condolences for your loss.

Regards Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe.

Reply to
Graham Carter

Never met the chap in person but was touched by his letters in the 101 six stud, they left me feeling I'd known him for years. Two words really stuck me from his writings in the last 12 months that I've been reading Six stud. Courage and Dignity, something rarely found in the same place it seem these days.

May he now rest in peace and comfort. My thoughts also go out to his family who have not only lost a dearly loved part of their tribe but also had to live a day at a time forever wondering and undoubtedly wishing things were only different. I'm sure from the tone of Chris's writings he was happy and honoured to have had such support and love.

For me Gaydon was the event of the year , not least because it bought so many of ourselves together but also the atmosphere was electric. Like so many of us I often lay on the drive under a mass of metal, mud and oil, hands frozen to the spanners asking myself why I put myself through this torture again and again. The truth is it's for the days like Gaydon Heritage run which will now have a slot in my diary as long as I can get there so Chris if your out there mate , THANKYOU!!!!

Respect!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D