October darn sarth Unofficial - I need summat to fill my Diary

Right then the ULRC (unofficial land rover club) is the host for the following topic

and to thrape out the finner details the forum as to where IAN! we should be looking at IAN! going to celebrate the oncomming of winter, misted windows, halloween and general pre christmas depression we can use said forum on ULRC init! IAN get yer ass in there and strut that local knowledge.

Tis wot we make it :-) ... Thanks Martyn!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

We are in. Prolly Friday night, Sat and come home Sun.

How far south are you thinking?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Erm, eh? Wassat? Me? Not sure I like the idea of thraping out the details of my finners.

Not sure where you are going south-wise, I'm on the northerly end of North Dorset, so most of my fairly paltry knowledge is based around that area.

Slightly less West, there's a fairly good pay 'n' play at Ringwood, the chap to contact there is Martin;

Details of the site are on the above URL too. He also has organised a few camping things there too, IIRC they may have been free with the price of entry, which was about £25 or so for the full day. Knowing nothing about camping though I don't know the details, e.g. do you have to dig your own lav. It's a large leisure site though so things like go-karts, paintballing etc are all on-site but it's not a tarmac-laden centre of town job. Banger racing and motocross events are held there too, in fact you can often drive the motocross track in the trucks.

There's some good lanes out Pangbourne way, but I've not been out that way in 7 years so the South Downs might be paved over with shopping centres for all I know.

Salisbury Plain is popular with off-roaders, it's common for large-ish convoys to tootle about on it so it'll raise fewer hackles out there than it will anywhere else in the area if you can't keep laning numbers down. I don't really do Salisbury Plain though, so don't know which lanes are still legal, there's bound to be someone here who knows it better, failing that, Martin from Bullfrog on the link already posted can certainly sort that kind of thing out, he's the spider in the middle of the more-east-of-here off-roading web. He's on Mud Club a lot, watch out for him and the name of the Ringwood off-road site, Matchams.

Bleedin' web forums grumble mumble!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I can get up to date info on Salisbury plain in a couple of weeks - got a mate in REME who drives it pretty regularly but he's still got 2 weeks in Afghanistan so I'll not get to talk to him until he's back.

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

I can't see any details of where & when?

Reply to
Nige

That's what he's asking advice for, although I'm not really the person to ask so hopefully others can help too ;-)

I do know that Martin at Bullfrog (link posted earlier) has done whole days at his site where people go off-roading, then a barbie, then some night-time off-roading, then camping. What with that and the other on-site facilities such as paintball, motocross, banger racing etc then Matchams might be a good bet.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Could be up for this, if it doesn't coincide with taking one of the daughters to/from/between Unis. I've not really been following this thread, but if it's in the Devon/Somerset area that is reasonably close for us. I may not have the S2a fixed by then, so we may have to attend in the F*rd. Will bring makings of Garlic Bread in mitigation.

Reply to
Rich B

No way i can go that far, but I'm up for something closer.

Reply to
Nige

What about another play day at KORC? I missed it last time but really fancy trying it out. Would have to be late Oct or even early November though really

Andy

Reply to
Andy

"Give people the tools" is my motto, so long as they use them to help fix my broken Landies, obviously! :-)

Reply to
.mother

did they all pass the appointment with the man from the ministry last week?

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Is there a certain way for an MOT Station to test S3 brakes? At my last test they just stuck it on the rollers as for any old vehicle.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

In news:46d7f2ac$0$16407$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com, Peter wibbled :

I'm not an expert but I do not think so. I believe there is still some debate at the ministry as to how best to test 4x4 brakes without them becoming 4x4 breaks. As I understand it: the series motors are not permanent 4 wheel drive, it is selectable by a dog clutch, there is no central differential to be damaged by overdriving it. Later models, e.g. 90,110, 130, Discovery, Defender and Range Rover have a central differential which is not designed to withstand much overdriving. These should not be brake tested on a simple rolling road. It might be possible to so test them by contra-rotating the wheels on the tested axel but I wouldn't want any vehicle of mine tested in an establishment that attempted to brake test it on a two wheel rolling road!

Now I'm sure if I'm wrong one of the clever sods with superior knowledge will be along double quick to pillory me and set you right.

Reply to
GbH

S3 can be tested on a normal braking rig, as it is two wheel drive with selectable 4 wheel drive.

MOT stations must have a special rig for testing vehicles with AWD setups such as 101, 90/110, Disco and RR. If they don't, they have to take it down the road and use a Tapley meter, stand on the anchors and look at the Tapley meter, whilst trying to keep the vehicle in a straight line..... I pointed this out to a tester who was adamant he could test a RR with a borg warner T Box on his normal rig, to then find it kept locking up due to the viscous unit detecting slip on one axle, and locking the centre diff.

He logged a fail on the computer because of a "serious braking defect". I refused to pay, manager appeared, I explained the situation. Employee taken off for a quiet word, brake test done correctly, pass recorded, and I didn't have to pay for the test either as "a gesture of goodwill"

You can of course remove the propshafts to do the test, but disassembly is not allowed during the MOT, and they would have to replace the propshaft nuts as they are *supposed* to be a single use item as they are nylocs.

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

My 2A doesnt seem to like that - it always tries to jump off the single axle brake rollers. Have done it in the past at a different garage but at the one nearest home it didnt like it so we have tapley'd it.

my mate is a newly qualified mot tester and works at a bmw main dealer. He says they still have the tapley and have to use it occasionally.

Reply to
Tom Woods

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Simon Isaacs wibbled :

Is it possible in these digital days to amend a MOT status once submitted? I know the system gets upset if the test is conducted too quickly.

Reply to
GbH

had to be restarted, wait 45 minutes and then nice new ticket!

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

They have to keep the Tapley in case the brake rig fails anyway.

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Fri, 31 Aug 2007 13:43:41 +0100, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

I think that's mostly the ones with viscous-coupling, i.e. BW transfer box.

There's another issue about handbrake testing, I'm never entirely happy about them doing that on the rolling road.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:01:48 +0100, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

AIUI, the reason for not letting you out of the station is that the inspectors can be waiting up the road to flag you down and haul it back in, and if it's only been logged into the testing station for 30 minutes "it hasn't been tested properly"

My local garage typically has more than one on the go at once, and won't let you leave until the appropriate time. A properly experienced tester can do the whole test in about 20-30 minutes without breaking a sweat.

Reply to
Austin Shackles