Off road .. brilliant! (long)

Hi All,

Just got back from a brilliant day at the Abingdon 4X4 Festival.

We were looking some sort of Land Rover event as a birthday treat for our Landy loving daughter's 14th birthday and some kind soul from this list not only told me about the Abingdon gig but also offered us a ride round the cct on Sat had we wanted (thanks).

I mentioned this to my Disco owning brother in law and he seemed keen to have a go on an off road course (after 97k miles in his Disco 'on-road') so the date was set.

They picked us up this morning (nth London) and we arrived at 10am after a pretty clear journey. We booked in and after a quick cupper, a look over the car and some driving tips by a marshal we were on our way ...

As we approached the first 'hill' I'm thinking 'no way, not in this and with road tyres ..' but up we climbed and over the top and onto the next! We only faultered on one and a quick reverse decent and another go with a bit more 'welly' we were away again! I managed to get some video footage from the front passenger seat (including several shots of the roof and my knee .. difficult to hold the camera AND hold on / enjoy the experience!). What surprised all of us passengers was the finish. There was a bit of a water (mud) splash before the final hump and we were ready for my BIL to take a steady run through it (he's generally quite cautious) ... till he saw the 'How high can you splash' sign .. then he gunned it and we exited the section like something from a fairground ride!

So what seemed like 10 mins but was probably nearer an hour later (after a few holdups for wet plugs on petrol vehicles etc) we finished, and no bits missing or broken (on the car anyway ) and with 5 of the biggest grins you would have seen for a long time .. ;-)

After a quick walk round the stands and a bit of lunch we joined the short queue and went round again, tho this time I took some video footage from various (safe) points round the cct so my BIL could see his efforts from the outsiders perspective.

This time, instead of taking all the 'easy' (easy!?) options I heard the kids (and my "I'm not sure I want to go ." Wife) chanting "hard, hard, hard" and watching them go up some mud and rut covered slopes I would have though only though fit for a cable car (before today)!

Anyway, after that cct it was getting near the end of the day so we wiped the lights / number plates clear (they wanted to show my Sister the mud covered vehicle when they got home) and we had a slower but straight forward (and boringly flat) drive home ;-(

A cuppa and quick vetting of some of the video footage later (and re-living it all over again) we waved my BIL and nephew off after a great day .

So, great weather, great cct (perfectly pitched for our skills / vehicle etc), good value for money (20 quid for 5 of us for all day) and friendy and helpfull folk (staff and other 4X4 drivers ..(probably

80% Landy folk).

Like lots of 'remote' events, the toilets were in need of more regular cleaning / attention (ok for the 'blokes' but no so nice for the 'girls') but even that didn't spoil a great day.

So, looks like 'we' need some form of 4X4 then ... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

On or around Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:48:04 GMT, T i m enlightened us thusly:

you've done it now... welcome to the worshipful company of nutters.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Lanr Rover, the only one :-))

Reply to
Hirsty's

Hmm, tell me about it .. !

welcome to the worshipful company of nutters.

Thanks for the welcome Austin .. but I think I was there already (in the local paper canoeing down the flooded high street, building a kit car, getting married for a second time etc) ;-)

The wife (Mrs "right now" (not Mrs Right) as I remind her ) really enjoys riding her Yamaha XV750 Virago, even when towing a fully loaded motorcycle camping trailer and until yesterday was really 'non plussed' about Land Rovers or off roading. The daughter used to fly about on her little Yamaha PW50 (twist n go kiddies motocrosser) and then a Yamaha TY80 (4 speed trials bike) so is at home in the mud and probably why she likes the Landy style. I have spent most my life on a motorbike of some sort so the novelty has worn off to a degree and the idea of working on and off-road driving a Landy (especially if I can share it with our daughter (now 14)) appeals to me (I think I'll stick to the 55 mpg, 100 quid, Rover 218SD for the loger trips) .

I asked her which she prefered so far as a birthday treat ..10 pin bowling (the most common activity to date), British Superbikes at Brands, Santa Pod or offroading .. she didn't seem to have to think about it too much! (it was BSB before yesterday).

I like the flexibility of the LR marque (swapping bits across some of the model range), cheap parts, loads of mods / addons ... sort of becomming a rolling project. I'm not sure I like the poor fuel economy, noise (I suffer from tinnitus as it is) and not even sure if at 6'2" I would fit in a Series 1-3? But I'm still keen ... ?

Talking to one of the guys at the event yesterday he suggested that he was looking for a 90 or 110 but there were all out of his budget. He ended up with a Disco at about half what he would have paid for the alternative? But, I'm not sure if I want a Disco ... ?

All the best ... ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

You could be right ..

However someone did mention the Lada 'Niva' (is it?) .. especially for someone on a budget who wanted to just have a bit off cheap off road fun?

Or what ...

A mate is currently restoring a 110 (he's down to the chassis at the moment welding on outriggers etc) and has a lightweight in the drive. He also had to option on a couple of other LR's (details unknown) but what should I look for please?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Cheap, yes, but not good for tall drivers. It's partly the RHD/LHD difference; the footwells are different and the British-spec vehicle puts the pedals in the smaller footwell.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Have'nt any experience of Niva's, but I have heard good things of them. They must be long in the tooth now so care when lookig at them. One thing the Russians did was build to sloppy tolerances and hence you find their stuff is pretty tough. I would imagine parts could be awkward but have heard there is a dedicated support group in the UK ? Personally I would go for an ex MoD lightweight or the like as spares will be easier although some military bits are peculiar such as pumps having more bolts than civilian. Lots of ex military stuff being dumped but will not last forever as MoD gets rid of it's old cold war stock.

Reply to
Hirsty's

I saw a 97 one on the net a while ago (that would be a lot newer than my 92 Rover, 82 Sierra or 78 kit car) ;-)

One thing the

Ok .. I like 'tough' .. ;-)

I would imagine parts could be awkward but have heard there

I have just googled and found such .. (no web site as yet ..)

These are the things you learn as the anorack get's christened aren't they (I already have a few) ;-)

Lots of ex military stuff being dumped but will not

I have seen some surplus stuff and assumed they should have been 'looked after' .. (bored engineers and regular 'checks' ?)

I think it's going to have to be a Landy as I believe:

1) It's got the sort of following I'd like to be part of .. (nutters) ;-) 2) (therefore) plenty of skill / knoledge on the marque .. 3) I have a reasonable workshop 4) Wide class acceptance ? 5) My (14yr old) daughter won't have anything else .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Nivas are *very* competent offroad, have a lack of ground clearance, the front lower suspension arm mounts ruin the approach angle, the timing chains and tensioners are awful and the electrics make Joe Lucas look like Einstein. They also rot fairly readily and not being on a chassis are a PITA to repair.

I have owned 2 Nivas, several Series Landrovers, a Rangerover and a couple of D90's. For what you want buy a Series, and for cheapness get a tax exempt one (it should also mean your daughter learns to double de-clutch).

Reply to
EMB

Twas Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:23:02 GMT when T i m put finger to keyboard producing:

I'm 6'4" and fit in my 110 no trouble at all, also driven a few S3's including one to bosnia and back, no problem.

You do seem to get alot for your money with a disco, and in my opinion no less capable than a 110.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:32:26 GMT when T i m put finger to keyboard producing:

Hmm, yes and no on that one.

Oh yes...

Certainly is.

mutter mutter, some of us work at the roadside mutter mutter.

I think so, certainly if you go for a disco IMHO.

Sold!

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Up until about a year ago I ran a Niva, one of the last into the country ('97 P). It was a fantastic thing, I used it everyday for about three years and I used it go green laning.

There is a website run by a guy called Alan Bird with forums for Lada owners to chat on, Alan also prvides a spares service and there is nothing he shouldn't be able to get as he used to import spares personally. Very helpfull chap too.

Checkout:

As much as I loved the Niva I much prefer the 110. Save your money up until you can afford a Land Rover, they're much more fun! If you must get a Niva try and get a later 1.7i model and listen carefully to the gearbox, if it has a rumble that disappears when you press the clutch down budget for a gearbox change, a common fault.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Take care, in some conditions they have to push them to the limit and that includes servicing interval and quality, knowing a batch will be dumped to a dealer tends to lead to a lack of care at the end of it's military life. After all no profit in wasting spares and time on something going somewhere else.

Try to find where it came from, some deployments can be disastorous. Cyprus for Salt. Arctic for Salt and water. South America same as is Falklands If you can look for either some kind of cerimonial use ( rare) or an ex-RAF model that may have been used simply to ply up/ down a runway or at the very least simply in the airbase boundaries.

Reply to
Hirsty's

Me sad .. ok so I do like Kylie, 7 of 9, was racing a Yokomo MR4TC a while back and now seem to like 4x4's .. ring any bells ;-)

Welcome to the world of off-roading ..

So even just being a passenger / video engineer counts does it . (kewl) ;-)

you never

.. so I noticed yesterday .. the deeper they got the harder they tried and the more the croud was with them towards the end! Those that actually made it out the bog and up this 30 ft dirt wall did so to loads of cheers and applause! (which was great to be a part of) ;-)

The only time I'd seen such support was at the British Sports Bike champs (this round was at Brands) and *every* rider was applauded at the end by the entire audience (who were often given a wave back and a wheelie or two) ;-)

Nice .. you shure that was just 'mud' there Paul ...

I'd have to say they weren't letting the side down yesterday .. but will they still be around in 20 years time .. (not sure I will but I have to ask ..) The BIL said his Disco was still chassis based .. unlike the newer models .. (assuming a chassis is a good thing?)

All the best fella .. ;-)

T i m (currently wearing a very 'green' 'T' shirt .. with a little oval badge .. I think it's happening .... )

Reply to
T i m

Hi Simon .. that was another facet of this 4x4 world I though I might like to do .. 'Green Laning' ..

Ok, thanks for that ..

(could be a long time on my current income ('house husband')) ;-(

they're much more fun!

Well, we would be on the right trach afa my daughter is concerened .. it would have to be a 90 though ..

If you must get

Expensive Simon? .. Howabout in comparison with a Disco / 90-110 gearbox?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, interesting and handy feedback (and would never have considered the l / r footwell thing ...)

Cheers ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well, as do we .. the tools stay in the garage, the cars / bikes live (and get worked on) outside. I am trying to clear some space in there to the the old BM (R100RT) in there and the gearbox back on ... ;-(

Having said that I do have a 'friend' with a heated garage and a 2 and

4 poster lifts to my disposal .. I just treat him to lunch and fix his PC's now and again .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Oh ok .. noted ..

Ah .. and as if by fate etc .. I took a call a just now from a mate, who in reply to me spouting off about yesterdays 4x4 fun mentioned they had just been given back a 'A' plate swb (Landy) truck that years ago was used as a recovery tractor for their speedboat off the coast ..?

He suggested that they (he or his lads) probably wouldn't take it on and therefore it might be up for grabs ... ?

I think he said the brakes were all shot (not surprising considering) but apart from chassis / bulkhead what else might not make this a 'result', if I'm given it (he said the engine was ok ..) ?

South America same as is Falklands

Ok, makes sense and thanks again ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, pertanant points indeed .. ;-(

Again .. thanks for the advice .. taking of the daughter (currently 'Goth' / Landy cammo), what is insurance like for a youngster on such things please?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Twas Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:55:28 GMT when T i m put finger to keyboard producing:

I'd look carefully at the axles also, could be very rusted and the diffs may be in a bad way if it's been in and out of the wet without breather pipes.

Not forgetting the gearbox of course.

swb A plate will be a 1984 S3.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to