Off the shelf brake pipes?

I need new front brake pipes for the 1992 Defender 90. Not the flexible ones. I have those ready to fit. I need the metal ones. Stainless steel, ready bent to the correct shape would be nice but ordinary ones would be quite OK.

Yes, I know I could simply get some made up at the local garage -- but that means taking off the old ones for a pattern (sure to break at least one union!) and walking or hitching to the garage while the LR is laid up! I'd rather pay a bit more and get them through the post with less hassle! Then I could fit them when it's convenient.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

I guess you don't live near a Land Rover dealer. If you did, you could buy them over the counter for around £15 each, ready bent to shape. Giles

Reply to
giles evans

Why not buy a roll of pipe, a swaging (sp?) kit and some pipe-ends and make your own? I make all my own out of copper alloy piping, easier to bend and lasts for ages (compared to steel) Just wondering.....

Reply to
Sam Clayton

I bought a kit from John Craddocks to do my SIII. You get the pipes already cut to length (plus a bit) with all the ends on. It's not that difficult to bend them to the correct shape - take the old ones off and use them as a pattern, then tidy it up as you put them on. I think a kit for the whole vehicle was only about 70 pounds.

James

Reply to
James

Hi Derry,

Don't bother walking to Tain - give me a shout and I can stop by sometime with the flaring tool if you get stuck!

Automec as mentioned before do nice kits and you can order on-line.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

William MacLeod wrote in news:pan.2003.07.23.03.31.00.943134@nospam.&macleod-group.com:

Hi William!

Great to hear from you again and just the sort of response I was hoping for!

All I need is the two front pipes. The previous owner did the vulnerable ones and the rest are OK so it is a bit "hammer to crack a nut" to go out and buy tools I won't need again probably for the next decade.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted to pay for the pipes, just reluctant to pay top rate LR dealer prices at McR & D if I don't need to.

I am currently doing up the old Peugeot 504 prior to selling it (fingers crossed) and may put that on the road as the D90's MOT runs out at the end of August, then I can do the brakes etc. at my leisure. BTW, I bought a mig and am teaching myself to weld. You should have seen my first job -- butt welding a patch into the middle of a panel!! The metal ended up about 1/2 inch thick in that area by the time I'd finished!! Isn't body filler great stuff?

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue