Off Topic !!! 1/4 NPT or BSP ????

Sorry for the post but thought this might be best as some good people here :-)

Bought some air tools the other day and have just noticed the air line inlet size says 1/4 NPT now the only snap couplings that I can find are all BSP taper or parallel !!!!! What is one to do and is it the same as 1/4 BSP is this usual for air tools as I have always fitted 1/4 BSP couplings without any problems ???

Richard

-- To reply remove " spam "

Reply to
Rich

BSP Taper and NPT fittings *are* different, but I think that in the smaller sizes they are close enough to each other to be interchangeable.

Steve Walker

Reply to
Steve Walker

I hope that has sorted the problem. Just to make you smile, apparently a diving magazine recently had a tool kit offer which contained pliers, cutters etc and two adjustable spanners, one imperial and one metric. It would appear that there is nothing more irritating underwater than putting an adjustable spanner onto a nut only to find it doesn't fit because the nut is metric!

( With acknowledgement to Practical Boat Owner who originally published the gist of this!)

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Lovely !!

Reply to
Dougal

Don't recall that, and I read most of them (diving magazines that is). The April editions will be out by now.

Most diving tool kits consist of hammers and cold chisels. People who are into the dismantling side of diving usually haven't got time for anything as sophisticated as a spanner.

-- Pete

Reply to
Pete Young

Ha Ha, thanks but anyone know why air tools which need a coupling on them have a NPT thread when the couplings them selves have a BSP thread ???????????

Rich

Reply to
Rich

NPT is the american pipe thread - US market/made tools and fittings are all NPT.

Reply to
EMB