Oh, damn, now what!

Took the "new" 90 out for a decent run today for the first time, it's genuinely only done 46K miles and everything worked as new. All going well, although I did sense a bit of power loss at the top end, perhaps a slight misfire, then, it started to get dark. Turned on the lights, there was a hiss bang, and the cabin filled with smoke from under the dash/steering column area. Pulled over, turned it all off and opened the windows to let the smoke out. Started her up again, no sign of smoke, but no sign of sidelights/rear lights either. Made a dash for home before official lighting up time.

The last owner, grandson of the original, has installed a radio. I bet that's where the problem is, faulty connection. Engine, well it could be a blocked fuel filter, dirty carb, condenser, points adjustment ....... you tell me.

Isn't it great the way these vehicles kick you in the balls when you start feeling good about them. :-(

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Don't worry, they all do that...

Reply to
David French

Twas Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:51:38 -0000 when "David French" put finger to keyboard producing:

It's a sign of affection.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Had a look today, the red wire from the light switch all the way to the fuses is completely burned out along it's whole length.

Some problems showed themselves when I took the fuse box cover off, the plastic fuse carriers that should be clipped into the metal panel were not and had slipped down behind it so that the fuses could touch the metal, effectively removing the fuse from the circuit !!! I can only assume the person that fitted the radio is guilty of not clipping them back in place properly. (or do they fall out?) The fuses for the sidelight's were 15A and they should be 2.5A continious. (is that 5A?)

But as that red wire seems to be the power wire it still doesn't explain the whole reason it burned out, there must be a serious short somewhere else on the sidelight circuit. Unfortunately, I think this is a case for an Auto Electrician and he can check that radio installation out at the same time. :-(

Reply to
Bob Hobden

On or around Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:44:36 -0000, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

Lighting switch, I bet. that's what failed on my 110.

failing that, some sort of problem in the fuse box, leading to a live wire shorting to earth. The 2 blocks of fuses can be displaced in the metal frame relatively easily.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks, I now think the latter, see my other post in this thread. Switch will need replacing too, and I'm not sure about the rest of the circuit the way that whole wire has acted like a fuse and burned out.

Do you think those fuse blocks might have fallen out on their own?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

On or around Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:47:50 -0000, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

not actually had 'em do that, but it's easy to dislodge 'em and not get 'em back right, while doing almost anything in the fusebox.

Reply to
Austin Shackles