oil drips

I have changed the crankshaft rear oil seal twice in 20.000 miles of my Disco 300TDI autom. but it is still leaking oil between the engine and the gearbox. Should i try it agan or live with the leaking.

Jack Black Holland

Reply to
Familie Zwart

How much is it leaking? I don't suppose there is anybody in this NG who does not have oil on their driveway from something or other. I wouldn't worry about a few drips, but if there's a torrent it may need some thought.

The point at which you are using more oil than fuel is usually a good time to worry.

David.

Reply to
David French

If its not dripping it run out of oil, thats my theory anyway :o) GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

"Familie Zwart" wrote in news:blrucd$gq4$ snipped-for-privacy@reader11.wxs.nl:

As I understand it, as the bores wear, gases escape past the pistons and force oil out of the system. Now I don't know if that is correct but maybe you should discuss checking cylinder pressures?

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

On or around 7 Oct 2003 21:21:42 GMT, Derry Argue enlightened us thusly:

only if the breathers are blocked or the engine very worn.

if the rear crank seal fails repeatedly, the surface on the crank may be damaged. Also, it may be the oil is coming from somewhere else.

Reply to
Austin Shackles